Dec 5, 2011, 2:16 PM EST
Things got testy Saturday night during Chicago’s 5-2 win over St. Louis. The bitter rivals engaged in a second period skirmish with (surprise!) ‘Hawks agitator Dan Carcillo smack in the middle.
Today, Carcillo upped the ante and called Backes out.
“Look at the guys he’s fought in this league,” Carcillo told the Chicago Daily Herald. “He’s a big guy and he’s tough, but he hasn’t really answered the bell with any really tough guys. He goes after guys like [Corey] Perry, and he tries to fight Jonathan Toews. You just can’t let that happen.”
Backes’ Hockeyfights.com page shows a wide range of dance partners. He’s fought legitimately tough guys (Andrew Ference, Robyn Regehr, Ed Jovanovski), some unexpected guys (Rick Nash, Keith Ballard, Ladislav Smid) and a whole bunch of Blackhawks (Bryan Bickell, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Cam Barker, Adam Burish.)
Backes — listed at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds — also famously fought Toews back in Jan. 2010, just prior to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver:
[Note: That was the second fight of Toews’ career. The first was against Phoenix’s Martin Hanzal.]
In reviewing Backes’ fight card, one thing is clear: He’s got beef with Chicago. This isn’t surprising given the Central Division rivalry and hey, let’s be honest — it’s not surprising he’d go after the Blackhawks’ best players. One of Chicago’s chief concerns after losing guys like Burish, Ben Eager and Colin Fraser was team toughness and the ability to protect its stars.
And one of the chief reasons Chicago brought in Carcillo was to stop guys like Backes from taking advantage.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 10
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4