Dec 5, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
Things got testy Saturday night during Chicago’s 5-2 win over St. Louis. The bitter rivals engaged in a second period skirmish with (surprise!) ‘Hawks agitator Dan Carcillo smack in the middle.
Today, Carcillo upped the ante and called Backes out.
“Look at the guys he’s fought in this league,” Carcillo told the Chicago Daily Herald. “He’s a big guy and he’s tough, but he hasn’t really answered the bell with any really tough guys. He goes after guys like [Corey] Perry, and he tries to fight Jonathan Toews. You just can’t let that happen.”
Backes’ Hockeyfights.com page shows a wide range of dance partners. He’s fought legitimately tough guys (Andrew Ference, Robyn Regehr, Ed Jovanovski), some unexpected guys (Rick Nash, Keith Ballard, Ladislav Smid) and a whole bunch of Blackhawks (Bryan Bickell, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Cam Barker, Adam Burish.)
Backes — listed at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds — also famously fought Toews back in Jan. 2010, just prior to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver:
[Note: That was the second fight of Toews' career. The first was against Phoenix's Martin Hanzal.]
In reviewing Backes’ fight card, one thing is clear: He’s got beef with Chicago. This isn’t surprising given the Central Division rivalry and hey, let’s be honest — it’s not surprising he’d go after the Blackhawks’ best players. One of Chicago’s chief concerns after losing guys like Burish, Ben Eager and Colin Fraser was team toughness and the ability to protect its stars.
And one of the chief reasons Chicago brought in Carcillo was to stop guys like Backes from taking advantage.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 21
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 37
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators