Dec 4, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
Last night, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller made his first start since the contentious Milan Lucic incident — an incident Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo either 1) wasn’t familiar with or 2) didn’t take into consideration.
During the second-period of a 3-2 loss, Tootoo skated toward the Buffalo net and lost the puck just prior to reaching the goalmouth. He then received a slight shove from Christian Ehrhoff and…well…just watch the video:
Yeah. That happened.
Tootoo received a five-minute charging major and a game misconduct while Paul Gaustad — making amends for his non-response to the Lucic hit, apparently — received a double-minor roughing penalty and a 10-minute misconduct.
Unsurprisingly, the Sabres were livid about the hit. (And not thrilled with how the penalties shook out, either.)
“What happened in the game is a joke. It’s a joke. All it does is just prove the fact right, that when I said it was open season, it appears it is open season,” head coach Lindy Ruff said. “You get a guy that comes off a concussion, and you’ve got Jordin Tootoo — Jordin Tootoo running over your goaltender? We used to get a two-minute power play for that. We got a one-minute power play out of that. That’s a joke.”
Tootoo said he expects to hear from Brendan Shanahan about the incident, but said he didn’t intend to run Miller.
“I was driving the net and I got a little shove from behind. That’s the last thing I want to do, is run the goalie over and put my team down,” Tootoo said. “It is what it is. But I’m skating hard, I drop my shoulder in towards the net, and clearly I tried to jump out of the way. There was no intent to charge at him. That’s all I can say.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)