Dec 4, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
Last night, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller made his first start since the contentious Milan Lucic incident — an incident Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo either 1) wasn’t familiar with or 2) didn’t take into consideration.
During the second-period of a 3-2 loss, Tootoo skated toward the Buffalo net and lost the puck just prior to reaching the goalmouth. He then received a slight shove from Christian Ehrhoff and…well…just watch the video:
Yeah. That happened.
Tootoo received a five-minute charging major and a game misconduct while Paul Gaustad — making amends for his non-response to the Lucic hit, apparently — received a double-minor roughing penalty and a 10-minute misconduct.
Unsurprisingly, the Sabres were livid about the hit. (And not thrilled with how the penalties shook out, either.)
“What happened in the game is a joke. It’s a joke. All it does is just prove the fact right, that when I said it was open season, it appears it is open season,” head coach Lindy Ruff said. “You get a guy that comes off a concussion, and you’ve got Jordin Tootoo — Jordin Tootoo running over your goaltender? We used to get a two-minute power play for that. We got a one-minute power play out of that. That’s a joke.”
Tootoo said he expects to hear from Brendan Shanahan about the incident, but said he didn’t intend to run Miller.
“I was driving the net and I got a little shove from behind. That’s the last thing I want to do, is run the goalie over and put my team down,” Tootoo said. “It is what it is. But I’m skating hard, I drop my shoulder in towards the net, and clearly I tried to jump out of the way. There was no intent to charge at him. That’s all I can say.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)