Dec 4, 2011, 11:08 AM EST
Last night, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller made his first start since the contentious Milan Lucic incident — an incident Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo either 1) wasn’t familiar with or 2) didn’t take into consideration.
During the second-period of a 3-2 loss, Tootoo skated toward the Buffalo net and lost the puck just prior to reaching the goalmouth. He then received a slight shove from Christian Ehrhoff and…well…just watch the video:
Yeah. That happened.
Tootoo received a five-minute charging major and a game misconduct while Paul Gaustad — making amends for his non-response to the Lucic hit, apparently — received a double-minor roughing penalty and a 10-minute misconduct.
Unsurprisingly, the Sabres were livid about the hit. (And not thrilled with how the penalties shook out, either.)
“What happened in the game is a joke. It’s a joke. All it does is just prove the fact right, that when I said it was open season, it appears it is open season,” head coach Lindy Ruff said. “You get a guy that comes off a concussion, and you’ve got Jordin Tootoo — Jordin Tootoo running over your goaltender? We used to get a two-minute power play for that. We got a one-minute power play out of that. That’s a joke.”
Tootoo said he expects to hear from Brendan Shanahan about the incident, but said he didn’t intend to run Miller.
“I was driving the net and I got a little shove from behind. That’s the last thing I want to do, is run the goalie over and put my team down,” Tootoo said. “It is what it is. But I’m skating hard, I drop my shoulder in towards the net, and clearly I tried to jump out of the way. There was no intent to charge at him. That’s all I can say.”
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 18
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 31
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 32
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 54
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 162
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (58)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)