Dec 4, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
Last night, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller made his first start since the contentious Milan Lucic incident — an incident Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo either 1) wasn’t familiar with or 2) didn’t take into consideration.
During the second-period of a 3-2 loss, Tootoo skated toward the Buffalo net and lost the puck just prior to reaching the goalmouth. He then received a slight shove from Christian Ehrhoff and…well…just watch the video:
Yeah. That happened.
Tootoo received a five-minute charging major and a game misconduct while Paul Gaustad — making amends for his non-response to the Lucic hit, apparently — received a double-minor roughing penalty and a 10-minute misconduct.
Unsurprisingly, the Sabres were livid about the hit. (And not thrilled with how the penalties shook out, either.)
“What happened in the game is a joke. It’s a joke. All it does is just prove the fact right, that when I said it was open season, it appears it is open season,” head coach Lindy Ruff said. “You get a guy that comes off a concussion, and you’ve got Jordin Tootoo — Jordin Tootoo running over your goaltender? We used to get a two-minute power play for that. We got a one-minute power play out of that. That’s a joke.”
Tootoo said he expects to hear from Brendan Shanahan about the incident, but said he didn’t intend to run Miller.
“I was driving the net and I got a little shove from behind. That’s the last thing I want to do, is run the goalie over and put my team down,” Tootoo said. “It is what it is. But I’m skating hard, I drop my shoulder in towards the net, and clearly I tried to jump out of the way. There was no intent to charge at him. That’s all I can say.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)