Dec 4, 2011, 11:08 AM EDT
Last night, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller made his first start since the contentious Milan Lucic incident — an incident Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo either 1) wasn’t familiar with or 2) didn’t take into consideration.
During the second-period of a 3-2 loss, Tootoo skated toward the Buffalo net and lost the puck just prior to reaching the goalmouth. He then received a slight shove from Christian Ehrhoff and…well…just watch the video:
Yeah. That happened.
Tootoo received a five-minute charging major and a game misconduct while Paul Gaustad — making amends for his non-response to the Lucic hit, apparently — received a double-minor roughing penalty and a 10-minute misconduct.
Unsurprisingly, the Sabres were livid about the hit. (And not thrilled with how the penalties shook out, either.)
“What happened in the game is a joke. It’s a joke. All it does is just prove the fact right, that when I said it was open season, it appears it is open season,” head coach Lindy Ruff said. “You get a guy that comes off a concussion, and you’ve got Jordin Tootoo — Jordin Tootoo running over your goaltender? We used to get a two-minute power play for that. We got a one-minute power play out of that. That’s a joke.”
Tootoo said he expects to hear from Brendan Shanahan about the incident, but said he didn’t intend to run Miller.
“I was driving the net and I got a little shove from behind. That’s the last thing I want to do, is run the goalie over and put my team down,” Tootoo said. “It is what it is. But I’m skating hard, I drop my shoulder in towards the net, and clearly I tried to jump out of the way. There was no intent to charge at him. That’s all I can say.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)