Dec 4, 2011, 3:14 PM EST
On Thursday, PHT reported that Canucks winger Mason Raymond would rejoin the Vancouver lineup to face Nashville, his first action since breaking his back in the Stanley Cup final.
The report was right — Raymond was supposed to rejoin the team. The execution, though, was lacking.
The Canucks missed the deadline to file paperwork re-activating Raymond, meaning Aaron Volpatti drew in against the Predators (and in a weird twist, it would be Volpatti’s last game. Vancouver announced Friday he’d be out for the year with a torn labrum in his shoulder.)
“It was an oversight,” Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman told the Vancouver Sun. “We thought the paperwork had been filed but it hadn’t, and by the time we realized it it was five minutes too late. We’re not happy about it. But at the end of the day, it’s a mistake that forces one player to wait another couple of days to play his first game in five months. There have been a lot worse mistakes in this league.”
Head coach Alain Vigneault said Raymond was “real disappointed” with the situation but, in another weird twist, the snafu could end up working in Raymond’s favor. Rather than debut against the Predators, he’ll open his campaign against the Flames, a team he’s had great success against in the past. He had 3G-4A-7PTS in six games last season, including a hat-trick in a 7-2 win last December.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)