Dec 4, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
On Thursday, PHT reported that Canucks winger Mason Raymond would rejoin the Vancouver lineup to face Nashville, his first action since breaking his back in the Stanley Cup final.
The report was right — Raymond was supposed to rejoin the team. The execution, though, was lacking.
The Canucks missed the deadline to file paperwork re-activating Raymond, meaning Aaron Volpatti drew in against the Predators (and in a weird twist, it would be Volpatti’s last game. Vancouver announced Friday he’d be out for the year with a torn labrum in his shoulder.)
“It was an oversight,” Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman told the Vancouver Sun. “We thought the paperwork had been filed but it hadn’t, and by the time we realized it it was five minutes too late. We’re not happy about it. But at the end of the day, it’s a mistake that forces one player to wait another couple of days to play his first game in five months. There have been a lot worse mistakes in this league.”
Head coach Alain Vigneault said Raymond was “real disappointed” with the situation but, in another weird twist, the snafu could end up working in Raymond’s favor. Rather than debut against the Predators, he’ll open his campaign against the Flames, a team he’s had great success against in the past. He had 3G-4A-7PTS in six games last season, including a hat-trick in a 7-2 win last December.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)