Dec 4, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
On Thursday, PHT reported that Canucks winger Mason Raymond would rejoin the Vancouver lineup to face Nashville, his first action since breaking his back in the Stanley Cup final.
The report was right — Raymond was supposed to rejoin the team. The execution, though, was lacking.
The Canucks missed the deadline to file paperwork re-activating Raymond, meaning Aaron Volpatti drew in against the Predators (and in a weird twist, it would be Volpatti’s last game. Vancouver announced Friday he’d be out for the year with a torn labrum in his shoulder.)
“It was an oversight,” Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman told the Vancouver Sun. “We thought the paperwork had been filed but it hadn’t, and by the time we realized it it was five minutes too late. We’re not happy about it. But at the end of the day, it’s a mistake that forces one player to wait another couple of days to play his first game in five months. There have been a lot worse mistakes in this league.”
Head coach Alain Vigneault said Raymond was “real disappointed” with the situation but, in another weird twist, the snafu could end up working in Raymond’s favor. Rather than debut against the Predators, he’ll open his campaign against the Flames, a team he’s had great success against in the past. He had 3G-4A-7PTS in six games last season, including a hat-trick in a 7-2 win last December.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)