Dec 4, 2011, 8:43 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs practiced outdoors in Central Park today, and by the looks of it, the weather was pretty cold.
Guaranteed Phil Kessel wore a scarf.
Why the outdoor practice? Well, the Leafs are in New York to play the Rangers tomorrow, and with their dads along for the trip, coach Ron Wilson thought it would be fun to skate at the park’s famous rink.
“This seemed to be a much more romantic place to come and get back to your roots,” Wilson said, as per the Toronto Star. “Most of our guys, somewhere along the line, played hockey outdoors. This is a great opportunity.”
Not sure how the Leafs felt about their coach calling practice romantic, but they seemed to enjoy the experience.
“It’s awesome,” said defenseman Keith Aulie. “It’s something people don’t get the opportunity to do. And for our dads to have a glimpse of what we do is pretty amazing.”
As Colton Orr discovered, another nice thing about having your dad along for the trip is not having to tie your own skates.
Then Orr went on the ice, didn’t fall once and asked his dad if he saw it.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 43
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 59
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)