Dec 4, 2011, 8:43 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs practiced outdoors in Central Park today, and by the looks of it, the weather was pretty cold.
Guaranteed Phil Kessel wore a scarf.
Why the outdoor practice? Well, the Leafs are in New York to play the Rangers tomorrow, and with their dads along for the trip, coach Ron Wilson thought it would be fun to skate at the park’s famous rink.
“This seemed to be a much more romantic place to come and get back to your roots,” Wilson said, as per the Toronto Star. “Most of our guys, somewhere along the line, played hockey outdoors. This is a great opportunity.”
Not sure how the Leafs felt about their coach calling practice romantic, but they seemed to enjoy the experience.
“It’s awesome,” said defenseman Keith Aulie. “It’s something people don’t get the opportunity to do. And for our dads to have a glimpse of what we do is pretty amazing.”
As Colton Orr discovered, another nice thing about having your dad along for the trip is not having to tie your own skates.
Then Orr went on the ice, didn’t fall once and asked his dad if he saw it.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)