Dec 3, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
It was originally supposed to be Jonas Gustavsson‘s start tonight against the Bruins, but instead it’ll mark James Reimer‘s return to action as he gets the start tonight in a surprise decision by Ron Wilson.
Yesterday saw Reimer work out well in practice, but Wilson said it was virtually set that Gustavsson would get the call. Perhaps Wilson took a look at the Leafs’ last three games against the Bruins and saw they’d given up 19 goal, losing all three.
The Leafs are in need of a steadier goaltender to deal with the Bruins’ attack and in Reimer’s short time in the NHL, he’s done well against Boston. Reimer’s 3-1-0 against The Bruins with a beyond-solid .930 save percentage. Getting a marquee performance out of Reimer would go a long way in proving this budding rivalry isn’t that of the “hammer vs. nail” variety, according to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com.
For now, we’ll see what Reimer’s got tonight. After such a long layoff, facing Boston is as close to being thrown to the wolves as you can get. A big game out of Reimer tonight would give the Leafs the confidence they need to continue their march for the playoffs.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)