Dec 3, 2011, 12:28 PM EST
It was originally supposed to be Jonas Gustavsson‘s start tonight against the Bruins, but instead it’ll mark James Reimer‘s return to action as he gets the start tonight in a surprise decision by Ron Wilson.
Yesterday saw Reimer work out well in practice, but Wilson said it was virtually set that Gustavsson would get the call. Perhaps Wilson took a look at the Leafs’ last three games against the Bruins and saw they’d given up 19 goal, losing all three.
The Leafs are in need of a steadier goaltender to deal with the Bruins’ attack and in Reimer’s short time in the NHL, he’s done well against Boston. Reimer’s 3-1-0 against The Bruins with a beyond-solid .930 save percentage. Getting a marquee performance out of Reimer would go a long way in proving this budding rivalry isn’t that of the “hammer vs. nail” variety, according to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com.
For now, we’ll see what Reimer’s got tonight. After such a long layoff, facing Boston is as close to being thrown to the wolves as you can get. A big game out of Reimer tonight would give the Leafs the confidence they need to continue their march for the playoffs.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)