Dec 3, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
It was originally supposed to be Jonas Gustavsson‘s start tonight against the Bruins, but instead it’ll mark James Reimer‘s return to action as he gets the start tonight in a surprise decision by Ron Wilson.
Yesterday saw Reimer work out well in practice, but Wilson said it was virtually set that Gustavsson would get the call. Perhaps Wilson took a look at the Leafs’ last three games against the Bruins and saw they’d given up 19 goal, losing all three.
The Leafs are in need of a steadier goaltender to deal with the Bruins’ attack and in Reimer’s short time in the NHL, he’s done well against Boston. Reimer’s 3-1-0 against The Bruins with a beyond-solid .930 save percentage. Getting a marquee performance out of Reimer would go a long way in proving this budding rivalry isn’t that of the “hammer vs. nail” variety, according to Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com.
For now, we’ll see what Reimer’s got tonight. After such a long layoff, facing Boston is as close to being thrown to the wolves as you can get. A big game out of Reimer tonight would give the Leafs the confidence they need to continue their march for the playoffs.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)