Dec 3, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
Andrei Markov‘s long recovery from knee problems will continue for just a bit longer. Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier updated Markov’s condition this afternoon and said the defenseman will be getting arthroscopic surgery to clean up debris in his knee.
The downside to getting his knee scoped means Markov’s return to action will be delayed another three weeks. The Russian rearguard had been working with the team recently and appeared nearly ready to get back to action — but now that return’s been delayed.
Markov’s continued issues with his knee are alarming. They, along with other health issue,s have kept him off the ice more often than on it over the last two seasons. It’s probably for the best that Markov is a hockey player and not a race horse.
Montreal could use the lift Markov’s game would provide as they’ve struggled mightily of late. That’s led to further speculation that Jacques Martin’s may not be the Canadiens’ head coach much longer.
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 0
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 37
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)