Dec 3, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
Andrei Markov‘s long recovery from knee problems will continue for just a bit longer. Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier updated Markov’s condition this afternoon and said the defenseman will be getting arthroscopic surgery to clean up debris in his knee.
The downside to getting his knee scoped means Markov’s return to action will be delayed another three weeks. The Russian rearguard had been working with the team recently and appeared nearly ready to get back to action — but now that return’s been delayed.
Markov’s continued issues with his knee are alarming. They, along with other health issue,s have kept him off the ice more often than on it over the last two seasons. It’s probably for the best that Markov is a hockey player and not a race horse.
Montreal could use the lift Markov’s game would provide as they’ve struggled mightily of late. That’s led to further speculation that Jacques Martin’s may not be the Canadiens’ head coach much longer.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 0
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)