Dec 3, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
Andrei Markov‘s long recovery from knee problems will continue for just a bit longer. Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier updated Markov’s condition this afternoon and said the defenseman will be getting arthroscopic surgery to clean up debris in his knee.
The downside to getting his knee scoped means Markov’s return to action will be delayed another three weeks. The Russian rearguard had been working with the team recently and appeared nearly ready to get back to action — but now that return’s been delayed.
Markov’s continued issues with his knee are alarming. They, along with other health issue,s have kept him off the ice more often than on it over the last two seasons. It’s probably for the best that Markov is a hockey player and not a race horse.
Montreal could use the lift Markov’s game would provide as they’ve struggled mightily of late. That’s led to further speculation that Jacques Martin’s may not be the Canadiens’ head coach much longer.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 3
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 3
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 32
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 13
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 38
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot