Dec 3, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur is learning some tough lessons about getting old. After being chased early from last night’s loss to Minnesota, Brodeur says he’s struggling with getting off on the right foot in games.
Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger heard it from Brodeur after another disappointing game last night. If you think Brodeur’s unhappy about giving up three goals on eight shots, you’d be right.
“You can’t say you played well when you allow three goals in eight minutes or so. But when you look at the quality of the goals scored, it’s not like I was weak or anything. The puck doesn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “That’s a couple of games. I’ll try to work harder, I guess, and figure it out. You have to go back and work harder and hopefully the pucks will hit me.”
The harsh reality of Brodeur being a 39-year-old starter is he’s not going to look like the guy that once dazzled us on a nightly basis. Having an off game here and there is more likely, and laying an egg the way he did last night is going to happen.
It hurts to see it transpire, but for Brodeur this too shall pass. He’s too proud of a guy to let it fester and drag his game down. But if you’re expecting to see the legendary act every game from Brodeur every game, you might want to lower your expectations.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)