Dec 3, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur is learning some tough lessons about getting old. After being chased early from last night’s loss to Minnesota, Brodeur says he’s struggling with getting off on the right foot in games.
Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger heard it from Brodeur after another disappointing game last night. If you think Brodeur’s unhappy about giving up three goals on eight shots, you’d be right.
“You can’t say you played well when you allow three goals in eight minutes or so. But when you look at the quality of the goals scored, it’s not like I was weak or anything. The puck doesn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “That’s a couple of games. I’ll try to work harder, I guess, and figure it out. You have to go back and work harder and hopefully the pucks will hit me.”
The harsh reality of Brodeur being a 39-year-old starter is he’s not going to look like the guy that once dazzled us on a nightly basis. Having an off game here and there is more likely, and laying an egg the way he did last night is going to happen.
It hurts to see it transpire, but for Brodeur this too shall pass. He’s too proud of a guy to let it fester and drag his game down. But if you’re expecting to see the legendary act every game from Brodeur every game, you might want to lower your expectations.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)