Dec 3, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur is learning some tough lessons about getting old. After being chased early from last night’s loss to Minnesota, Brodeur says he’s struggling with getting off on the right foot in games.
Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger heard it from Brodeur after another disappointing game last night. If you think Brodeur’s unhappy about giving up three goals on eight shots, you’d be right.
“You can’t say you played well when you allow three goals in eight minutes or so. But when you look at the quality of the goals scored, it’s not like I was weak or anything. The puck doesn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “That’s a couple of games. I’ll try to work harder, I guess, and figure it out. You have to go back and work harder and hopefully the pucks will hit me.”
The harsh reality of Brodeur being a 39-year-old starter is he’s not going to look like the guy that once dazzled us on a nightly basis. Having an off game here and there is more likely, and laying an egg the way he did last night is going to happen.
It hurts to see it transpire, but for Brodeur this too shall pass. He’s too proud of a guy to let it fester and drag his game down. But if you’re expecting to see the legendary act every game from Brodeur every game, you might want to lower your expectations.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)