Dec 3, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur is learning some tough lessons about getting old. After being chased early from last night’s loss to Minnesota, Brodeur says he’s struggling with getting off on the right foot in games.
Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger heard it from Brodeur after another disappointing game last night. If you think Brodeur’s unhappy about giving up three goals on eight shots, you’d be right.
“You can’t say you played well when you allow three goals in eight minutes or so. But when you look at the quality of the goals scored, it’s not like I was weak or anything. The puck doesn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “That’s a couple of games. I’ll try to work harder, I guess, and figure it out. You have to go back and work harder and hopefully the pucks will hit me.”
The harsh reality of Brodeur being a 39-year-old starter is he’s not going to look like the guy that once dazzled us on a nightly basis. Having an off game here and there is more likely, and laying an egg the way he did last night is going to happen.
It hurts to see it transpire, but for Brodeur this too shall pass. He’s too proud of a guy to let it fester and drag his game down. But if you’re expecting to see the legendary act every game from Brodeur every game, you might want to lower your expectations.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)