Dec 3, 2011, 10:07 AM EST
Martin Brodeur is learning some tough lessons about getting old. After being chased early from last night’s loss to Minnesota, Brodeur says he’s struggling with getting off on the right foot in games.
Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger heard it from Brodeur after another disappointing game last night. If you think Brodeur’s unhappy about giving up three goals on eight shots, you’d be right.
“You can’t say you played well when you allow three goals in eight minutes or so. But when you look at the quality of the goals scored, it’s not like I was weak or anything. The puck doesn’t hit me,” Brodeur said. “That’s a couple of games. I’ll try to work harder, I guess, and figure it out. You have to go back and work harder and hopefully the pucks will hit me.”
The harsh reality of Brodeur being a 39-year-old starter is he’s not going to look like the guy that once dazzled us on a nightly basis. Having an off game here and there is more likely, and laying an egg the way he did last night is going to happen.
It hurts to see it transpire, but for Brodeur this too shall pass. He’s too proud of a guy to let it fester and drag his game down. But if you’re expecting to see the legendary act every game from Brodeur every game, you might want to lower your expectations.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)