Dec 3, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
For some Twitter snarksters, Dec. 3, 2011 carried a certain somber sadness. Sure, the jokes won’t go away altogether, but Dustin Penner finally scored a goal on Saturday. That one tally leaves/ties him at 510th place in the NHL, so it’s not like Penner gained respectability in one afternoon game against the Montreal Canadiens. Still, it’s undeniable that some of the humor will lose its luster after he finally found the twine.
Here’s video evidence of that not-so-historic goal.
(I must admit I’m a little disappointed that Penner opted against using Steve Young’s “monkey off my back” pantomime after scoring that goal.)
So it wasn’t a highlight reel goal by any means, but that’s actually the type of work that the Kings hope they’ll see more of: Penner in front of the net, cleaning up the garbage.
The best Kings humorists will still find a way to mine gold from Penner’s decrepit stats, but again, some of the innocence (or maybe guilt?) was lost in that unspectacular goal. Before we go, allow me to submit a stat that’s a lot sadder than it is funny: Penner scored 100 percent of the Kings’ goals on Saturday.
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 0
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 3
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30