Three (News) Stars of the Week: Bobby on the block…then not, Paulina says bye…then hi, Bruce is fired…then hired
Dec 2, 2011, 6:50 PM EDT
“Three (News) Stars of the Week” will run every Friday. It’s our way of acknowledging the week’s big NHL stories that gave us lots of page views, thereby increasing PHT’s attractiveness to advertisers.
Third star: Bobby on the block
Reports surfaced early in the week that the Ducks were shopping their talented forward, Bobby Ryan. Soon after came a report the Rangers were one of the teams interested. Then every team was interested. Who wouldn’t be? Ryan’s off to a tough start to the season, as are most of his teammates. But he’s only 24 and he’s already scored 30-plus goals three times. It didn’t take long for Ryan to admit the trade talk was getting to him, calling the rampant speculation “a nightmare.” Then the Ducks fired the coach and all of a sudden they weren’t shopping Ryan anymore.
Second star: @PaulinaGretzky
Paulina Gretzky is Wayne Gretzky’s 22-year-old daughter. She has a Twitter account through which she’s been known to post pictures of herself. Many men have enjoyed these pictures. Her dad is not one of those many men. So father and daughter had a “sit down,” after which her account was deleted and the internet was sad. But then the account reappeared and the internet was happy. But then the tweet that marked her return was deleted and the internet was…just confused.
The axe finally fell Monday when Bruce Boudreau was relieved of his duties as coach of the underachieving Washington Capitals. The general manager said the players had stopped responding to Boudreau. Watching them lose, 5-1, to Buffalo on Saturday, it was hard to disagree. Much of the blame for the change fell at the skates of Alex Ovechkin, the once-jovial superstar who no longer appears to enjoy the game — especially the version where he has to be defensively responsible. But there was little time to weep for Boudreau; by Wednesday night he was the new coach of the Anaheim Ducks.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)