Dec 2, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
It was fun while it lasted.
Tonight, the Chicago Blackhawks will host the New York Islanders featuring a more traditional lineup than we’ve seen recently. Patrick Kane will return to his natural right wing spot after playing second-line center for the first two months of the season.
“I think center worked for a little bit,” Kane told ESPN Chicago. “It’s one of those things that is still an option. Sometimes you have to keep things exciting and switch it up.”
While playing Kane at center reaped early rewards (including this amazing spin-o-rama pass to Hossa), it’s fallen on hard times lately. No. 88 has no goals and just three assists in his last six games — not coincidentally, the ‘Hawks are 2-4 over that stretch.
Replacing Kane will be 21-year-old Marcus Kruger, who left Djugardens of the Swedish Elite League late last year to join Chicago for its final seven games of the season (and five of its seven playoff games.) Kane will play on a line with Jonathan Toews and Viktor Stalberg while Kruger will center Marian Hossa and Patrick Sharp.
“Kane at center has been a good option for us, but Kruger is playing well,” head coach Joel Quenneville said. “It gives us a different look. We just wanted to try something else. Marcus gives us an option based on his performance.
“[We’ll] see how he handles it with the top guys. It’s more of an experiment that way as well.”
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)