Dec 2, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Just like he was in October, Edmonton Oilers center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the NHL’s Rookie of the Month.
The Nuge posted 6G-10A-16PTS in 14 games during November, becoming the first player to win Rookie of the Month during his first two months in the league since Evgeni Malkin in 2006.
Of course, Malkin was a 20-year-old rookie that spent two years playing professionally in Russia.
Nugent-Hopkins is 18 and spent the last two years living with a billet family in Red Deer.
As for other rookies that warranted consideration: New Jersey’s Adam Henrique (5 goals, 9 assists), Nashville’s Craig Smith (3 goals, 8 assists) and Buffalo’s Jhonas Enroth (6-4-1, 2.31 goals-against average, .922 save percentage) all had very good Novembers. They just simply couldn’t unseat The Nuge, who is now on pace for 89 points — which would be the most for a rookie since Alex Ovechkin notched 106 in 2005-06.
Speaking of joining elite company, Nugent-Hopkins’ five-assist outing against Chicago on Nov. 19 made him the first 18-year-old in NHL history to accomplish the feat, and just the fourth ever to get five points in a single outing. The other three? Toronto’s Jack Hamilton (Dec. 4, 1943), Winnipeg’s Dale Hawerchuk (March 13, 1982) and Atlanta’s Ilya Kovalchuk (Jan. 19, 2002).
Way to go, Nuge.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)