Dec 2, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
One way or another, it looks like NHL realignment is going to work to the Red Wings’ benefit.
John Shannon of Sportsnet reports the league is down to two possible ways to realign the NHL and if you’ve kept up with the theories tossed out there, you’re familiar with what’s at the top of the list. Shannon reports one of the choices involves simply swapping Detroit and Winnipeg, putting the Jets in the Central Division and the Wings in the Southeast.
The other format would see the conferences and six divisions go away, instead having four divisions and a balanced schedule. With those two options on the table, it’ll be up to next week’s Board of Governors meeting to decide if radical realignment or a quick fix is what they’re after.
Of course, Gary Bettman has said a realignment decision might not be finalized next week, and with two-thirds of the owners needed to approve anything, this could drag out a bit longer.
Either way, it’s shaping up that Detroit will have its travel woes eased and Mike Ilitch won’t have to harass Bettman any more about his “promise” to move them East. Either Detroit will come East, or it’ll have the same travel problems every other team has.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)