Dec 2, 2011, 11:00 PM EST
Martin Brodeur wasn’t alone in leaving tonight’s New Jersey Devils-Minnesota Wild game. That shouldn’t be much solace for Brodeur since the other guy left early because of an injury. Niklas Backstrom was only able to play one period of the Wild’s 4-2 win due to a lower-body issue, according to Michael Russo.
Oddly enough, Backstrom received credit for the win because Minnesota never lost their lead. In a fairer world, Josh Harding would have gotten the victory after stopping all of the 22 shots he faced in two periods of relief work.
Harding probably isn’t too upset overall, though. He’s been just as good as Backstrom so far this season, so if the Wild’s $6 million man is out for a while, then Harding could make himself a lot of money. After some tough injury breaks of his own, Harding has a chance to turn some heads as unrestricted free agency approaches in July 2012.
Many Wild fans would argue that they’ve essentially been running with two No. 1 goalies in 2011-12. If Backstrom’s injury falls somewhere in the Kari Lehtonen range, then we’ll see if those big words are justified.
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 1
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 45
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)