Dec 2, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur wasn’t alone in leaving tonight’s New Jersey Devils-Minnesota Wild game. That shouldn’t be much solace for Brodeur since the other guy left early because of an injury. Niklas Backstrom was only able to play one period of the Wild’s 4-2 win due to a lower-body issue, according to Michael Russo.
Oddly enough, Backstrom received credit for the win because Minnesota never lost their lead. In a fairer world, Josh Harding would have gotten the victory after stopping all of the 22 shots he faced in two periods of relief work.
Harding probably isn’t too upset overall, though. He’s been just as good as Backstrom so far this season, so if the Wild’s $6 million man is out for a while, then Harding could make himself a lot of money. After some tough injury breaks of his own, Harding has a chance to turn some heads as unrestricted free agency approaches in July 2012.
Many Wild fans would argue that they’ve essentially been running with two No. 1 goalies in 2011-12. If Backstrom’s injury falls somewhere in the Kari Lehtonen range, then we’ll see if those big words are justified.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)