Dec 2, 2011, 11:37 PM EDT
Scary scene in Buffalo on Friday night: pint-sized Buffalo Sabres forward Nathan Gerbe was on the receiving end of teammate Paul Gastad’s skate blade. Here’s video footage of the terrible accident. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
NHL on the Fly’s David Amber said that Gerbe required 25 stitches and is day-to-day at the moment. Amber reports that Gerbe’s nose and lip were cut by Gaustad’s errant blade.
That’s definitely a scary scenario, although the bright side is that it didn’t make contact with his eye or his throat. Friday night was a tough one overall for Buffalo, as the Detrot Red Wings stomped all over them for a 4-1 win (and their seventh victory in a row), but at least Gerbe seems mostly OK.
These haven’t been the best of times for Buffalo, but there is at least one bright side to look on: Ryan Miller is scheduled to return to action on Saturday. If he resembles the 2009-10 model more than the less effective recent version, then even Gerbe’s face might feel a little better.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 19
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5