Dec 2, 2011, 11:37 PM EDT
Scary scene in Buffalo on Friday night: pint-sized Buffalo Sabres forward Nathan Gerbe was on the receiving end of teammate Paul Gastad’s skate blade. Here’s video footage of the terrible accident. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
NHL on the Fly’s David Amber said that Gerbe required 25 stitches and is day-to-day at the moment. Amber reports that Gerbe’s nose and lip were cut by Gaustad’s errant blade.
That’s definitely a scary scenario, although the bright side is that it didn’t make contact with his eye or his throat. Friday night was a tough one overall for Buffalo, as the Detrot Red Wings stomped all over them for a 4-1 win (and their seventh victory in a row), but at least Gerbe seems mostly OK.
These haven’t been the best of times for Buffalo, but there is at least one bright side to look on: Ryan Miller is scheduled to return to action on Saturday. If he resembles the 2009-10 model more than the less effective recent version, then even Gerbe’s face might feel a little better.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39