Dec 2, 2011, 11:37 PM EDT
Scary scene in Buffalo on Friday night: pint-sized Buffalo Sabres forward Nathan Gerbe was on the receiving end of teammate Paul Gastad’s skate blade. Here’s video footage of the terrible accident. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
NHL on the Fly’s David Amber said that Gerbe required 25 stitches and is day-to-day at the moment. Amber reports that Gerbe’s nose and lip were cut by Gaustad’s errant blade.
That’s definitely a scary scenario, although the bright side is that it didn’t make contact with his eye or his throat. Friday night was a tough one overall for Buffalo, as the Detrot Red Wings stomped all over them for a 4-1 win (and their seventh victory in a row), but at least Gerbe seems mostly OK.
These haven’t been the best of times for Buffalo, but there is at least one bright side to look on: Ryan Miller is scheduled to return to action on Saturday. If he resembles the 2009-10 model more than the less effective recent version, then even Gerbe’s face might feel a little better.
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)