Dec 2, 2011, 11:37 PM EST
Scary scene in Buffalo on Friday night: pint-sized Buffalo Sabres forward Nathan Gerbe was on the receiving end of teammate Paul Gastad’s skate blade. Here’s video footage of the terrible accident. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
NHL on the Fly’s David Amber said that Gerbe required 25 stitches and is day-to-day at the moment. Amber reports that Gerbe’s nose and lip were cut by Gaustad’s errant blade.
That’s definitely a scary scenario, although the bright side is that it didn’t make contact with his eye or his throat. Friday night was a tough one overall for Buffalo, as the Detrot Red Wings stomped all over them for a 4-1 win (and their seventh victory in a row), but at least Gerbe seems mostly OK.
These haven’t been the best of times for Buffalo, but there is at least one bright side to look on: Ryan Miller is scheduled to return to action on Saturday. If he resembles the 2009-10 model more than the less effective recent version, then even Gerbe’s face might feel a little better.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)