Dec 2, 2011, 11:37 PM EDT
Scary scene in Buffalo on Friday night: pint-sized Buffalo Sabres forward Nathan Gerbe was on the receiving end of teammate Paul Gastad’s skate blade. Here’s video footage of the terrible accident. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
NHL on the Fly’s David Amber said that Gerbe required 25 stitches and is day-to-day at the moment. Amber reports that Gerbe’s nose and lip were cut by Gaustad’s errant blade.
That’s definitely a scary scenario, although the bright side is that it didn’t make contact with his eye or his throat. Friday night was a tough one overall for Buffalo, as the Detrot Red Wings stomped all over them for a 4-1 win (and their seventh victory in a row), but at least Gerbe seems mostly OK.
These haven’t been the best of times for Buffalo, but there is at least one bright side to look on: Ryan Miller is scheduled to return to action on Saturday. If he resembles the 2009-10 model more than the less effective recent version, then even Gerbe’s face might feel a little better.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21