Dec 2, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
How long does it take to score three goals on Martin Brodeur? For about a decade, the answer was often “More than one game.” In this case, the Minnesota Wild booted him out of the New Jersey Devils’ net by scoring three goals in just 8:17 of game time.
That’s the second shortest* start of his Hall-of-Fame career, according to the Minnesota Wild. Brodeur stopped one of the four shots he faced.
After a brief lull, this brutal outing might rev up the Brodeur career death watch once again. He came into Friday’s match against Minnesota on a two-game losing streak in which he allowed nine goals, so this makes it 12 tallies in less than seven ugly periods.
At this point, the Johan Hedberg vs. Martin Brodeur debate is getting a little ridiculous. Here’s a stat comparison between them that factors in games from before tonight’s debacle.
Hedberg: 7-4-1 record, 2.24 GAA and .920 save percentage.
Brodeur: 5-6-0 record, 3.09 GAA and .887 save percentage.
Looking at those numbers, it’s absurd to doubt Hedberg’s current superior merit. The bigger question is: should Brodeur consider hanging up his pads after this season? He owns just about every major goaltending record at this point and plenty of team-based glories, so aside from fattening up his bank account and delaying the prospect of living a normal life, there isn’t much to prove. (Even the bank account argument is subdued by the fact that his contract expires after this season.)
So, let me ask: do you think Brodeur should retire after the 2011-12 season?
* – In case you’re wondering, the shortest game was against the Carolina Hurricanes on Jan. 1, 2011. He lasted eight minutes in that one. Of course, he doesn’t have a possible New Year’s Eve party excuse to lean on tonight, though.
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 16
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2