Dec 2, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
The negative fallout continues from the hit Kings forward Mike Richards took last night against Florida. Shortly after learning Panthers winger Sean Bergenheim wouldn’t receive supplemental discipline, the Kings announced Richards will be going on injured reserve.
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider notes that Richards will be placed on IR tomorrow, meaning he’ll be out at least seven days. He’ll miss Saturday’s game against Montreal, Tuesday’s Freeway Face-Off against Anaheim and Thursday’s home date versus Minnesota.
There’s still no specific word on the injury Richards suffered. “The Kings are not using with word ‘concussion’ in discussing Richards,” Helene Elliott of the LA Times tweeted. “[That] leads to question of whether concussions that aren’t officially announced as concussions are included in the league’s concussion stats.”
With that said, let it be known Richard’s injury is being classified as upper-body (for now), with this replay suggesting it could be a head injury:
In related news:
— Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell won’t be going on IR, but head coach Terry Murray “fears” he’ll miss a few games with a lower-body injury. Mitchell left the Florida game early in the first period.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 13
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 87
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)