Dec 2, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
The negative fallout continues from the hit Kings forward Mike Richards took last night against Florida. Shortly after learning Panthers winger Sean Bergenheim wouldn’t receive supplemental discipline, the Kings announced Richards will be going on injured reserve.
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider notes that Richards will be placed on IR tomorrow, meaning he’ll be out at least seven days. He’ll miss Saturday’s game against Montreal, Tuesday’s Freeway Face-Off against Anaheim and Thursday’s home date versus Minnesota.
There’s still no specific word on the injury Richards suffered. “The Kings are not using with word ‘concussion’ in discussing Richards,” Helene Elliott of the LA Times tweeted. “[That] leads to question of whether concussions that aren’t officially announced as concussions are included in the league’s concussion stats.”
With that said, let it be known Richard’s injury is being classified as upper-body (for now), with this replay suggesting it could be a head injury:
In related news:
– Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell won’t be going on IR, but head coach Terry Murray “fears” he’ll miss a few games with a lower-body injury. Mitchell left the Florida game early in the first period.
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)