Dec 2, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
The negative fallout continues from the hit Kings forward Mike Richards took last night against Florida. Shortly after learning Panthers winger Sean Bergenheim wouldn’t receive supplemental discipline, the Kings announced Richards will be going on injured reserve.
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider notes that Richards will be placed on IR tomorrow, meaning he’ll be out at least seven days. He’ll miss Saturday’s game against Montreal, Tuesday’s Freeway Face-Off against Anaheim and Thursday’s home date versus Minnesota.
There’s still no specific word on the injury Richards suffered. “The Kings are not using with word ‘concussion’ in discussing Richards,” Helene Elliott of the LA Times tweeted. “[That] leads to question of whether concussions that aren’t officially announced as concussions are included in the league’s concussion stats.”
With that said, let it be known Richard’s injury is being classified as upper-body (for now), with this replay suggesting it could be a head injury:
In related news:
– Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell won’t be going on IR, but head coach Terry Murray “fears” he’ll miss a few games with a lower-body injury. Mitchell left the Florida game early in the first period.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)