Dec 2, 2011, 2:57 PM EST
Back on Nov. 21, Colorado Avalanche head coach Joe Sacco put his charges through a bag skate. (For a rich, detailed history of the bag skate, read Justin Bourne’s USA Today piece.)
The skate was likely in response to Colorado’s 4-1 home loss to the Sharks…or the fact the Avs had lost seven of their last nine…or the fact they’re 5-9-0 at the Pepsi Center this year.
Whatever the case, Sacco bag skated ‘em. Hard.
“Sacco yelled at the boys a couple of times pretty loudly too,” Dater wrote. “I don’t believe in reporting what was said in a situation like that, even though I heard a few of his sentences. It feels too much like eavesdropping and reporting private stuff. Let’s just say it was fairly loud and ‘constructively critical.'”
Constructive criticism wasn’t all that came from the bag skate. Turns out defenseman Erik Johnson and forward Peter Mueller both hurt their groins during the workout (again, from Dater) — for Johnson, the injury was severe enough to land him on IR. Johnson’s missed Colorado’s last four games and won’t play tonight when the Avs take on his former team, the St. Louis Blues. Mueller had yet to be cleared from his concussion, so the groin strain was a setback in his recovery.
Avalanche fans seem to be of two minds on this. Some are angry at Sacco for what amounts to injuring his own players. Others put this at the feet (or, groins) of Johnson and Mueller, pointing out the bag skate only lasted eight minutes while arguing professional hockey players should have the fitness to withstand the rigors of an eight-minute powerskating session.
Whatever the case, it remains the latest in an exasperating season for the Avs. Dater has twice taken the team to task (see here and here) for its lackluster play and questionable decision making — now he can add another gripe to his list.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)