Dec 2, 2011, 9:18 PM EDT
After one of the most miserable starts of the post-lockout era, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been showing a little life lately. Getting top additions Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski back didn’t hurt, while the rise of Curtis Sanford really got things going. Unfortunately, it looks like the Blue Jackets will have to try to get out of the West basement without Carter tonight, according to Aaron Portzline.
Portzline notes that Carter suffered some kind of leg injury in a game against the Calgary Flames on Thursday, but returned later on in that contest.
Any injury – particularly one to a player as crucial as Carter – is a bad thing. Still, the fact that it’s leg-related is especially worrisome since he missed 10 games with a fractured foot earlier this season.
Update: Well, the good news is that it sounds like Carter’s issues aren’t related to that fractured food. Portzline reports that Carter has a sprained ankle, which puts him in the frequently frustrating day-to-day category. He might be available for Tuesday’s game against the Montreal Canadiens, but we’ll have to wait and see.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)