Dec 2, 2011, 8:49 AM EST
They never said it was going to be easy in Washington. For Dale Hunter, taking over a team that had lost its way is proving to be bumpy right off the bat.
Last night’s 2-1 loss to the Penguins was especially hard as the Penguins essentially played keep-away with the puck over the final five minutes while the Caps spent all their energy chasing them around. As the Caps players said to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley, the results will come but they won’t be instantaneous.
Hunter says the fixes are coming in their new system.
“They are learning a new system but we have to be a little more quicker in our own end. We’re spending too much time and it wears down our offense,” Hunter said.
The offense is worn out to the point of generating just 36 shots in two games under Hunter. The Caps will get things right under Hunter come hell or high water, but for now it’s all about learning on the fly. It might hurt to watch now but don’t bank on the Caps staying in a funk for too much longer.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)