Dec 2, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
So far as good reasons to call a team meeting go, losing at home to the Islanders then getting blown out by the Avalanche ranks right up there.
The New Jersey Devils got together for a little chat today to discuss, among other things, Wednesday’s 6-1 defeat in Denver. Captain Zach Parise was one of the players who shared his thoughts, though he wasn’t willing to divulge exactly what was said.
“There’s definitely a time and a place and I’m not going to preach in the media about what is said and when it’s said – not just me, but from everybody,” Parise said, as reported by The Bergen Record. “Especially after last game, everyone understands it. You guys know me, my personality. But, again, I do feel there’s a time and place for everything. That’s just what goes on in here. That’s internal.”
The Devils were on an 8-3-0 run prior to their current two-game losing streak, so it’s not like a team meeting was long overdue. But with three games remaining on a four-game trip, it was probably best to nip any funk in the bud. New Jersey is in Minnesota tonight, Winnipeg tomorrow and Toronto Tuesday.
“We haven’t been hard to play against the last couple games, the last few games,” Parise said. “And that’s something that at the beginning of the season when we were winning games and playing in control and getting 40 shots, we were on our toes, we were aggressive. I feel like now we’re hesitating a little bit and way too many times last night we would be outnumbering them and they would come out with the puck. Any time there was any kind of competition for the puck, we lost it and that’s why we got beat up pretty good, 6-1.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)