Dec 2, 2011, 12:31 PM EDT
So far as good reasons to call a team meeting go, losing at home to the Islanders then getting blown out by the Avalanche ranks right up there.
The New Jersey Devils got together for a little chat today to discuss, among other things, Wednesday’s 6-1 defeat in Denver. Captain Zach Parise was one of the players who shared his thoughts, though he wasn’t willing to divulge exactly what was said.
“There’s definitely a time and a place and I’m not going to preach in the media about what is said and when it’s said – not just me, but from everybody,” Parise said, as reported by The Bergen Record. “Especially after last game, everyone understands it. You guys know me, my personality. But, again, I do feel there’s a time and place for everything. That’s just what goes on in here. That’s internal.”
The Devils were on an 8-3-0 run prior to their current two-game losing streak, so it’s not like a team meeting was long overdue. But with three games remaining on a four-game trip, it was probably best to nip any funk in the bud. New Jersey is in Minnesota tonight, Winnipeg tomorrow and Toronto Tuesday.
“We haven’t been hard to play against the last couple games, the last few games,” Parise said. “And that’s something that at the beginning of the season when we were winning games and playing in control and getting 40 shots, we were on our toes, we were aggressive. I feel like now we’re hesitating a little bit and way too many times last night we would be outnumbering them and they would come out with the puck. Any time there was any kind of competition for the puck, we lost it and that’s why we got beat up pretty good, 6-1.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)