Dec 2, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
When asked if the NHL should ban fighting, a 20-player panel was unanimous in its opinion – No.
That finding courtesy ESPN, which polled a diverse group of 20 NHLers about the role of fighting in today’s game. The panel was a varied one, comprised of enforcers, all-stars, North Americans, Europeans, players with mustaches, players without mustaches, etc.
Among the other findings:
—-Bruins forward Brad Marchand led the “players I’d like to fight” category.
—-Pittsburgh’s Steve MacIntyre was the most terrifying fighter.
—-Four of the six enforcers polled said they weren’t taught how to scrap. “You learn more through experience. When I was younger, in the WHL, I lost a lot of fights. That’s how you learn.”
Most important, though, is the fact none of the 20 players wanted fighting banned, a sentiment that’s been confirmed in previous player polls. Now let’s watch a good, old-fashioned brawl:
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)