Dec 1, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Now that Randy Carlyle is out of a job in Anaheim, the curiosity as to what happens next for a Stanley Cup-winning coach can ramp up in earnest. You’d have to think that a guy with his resume in Anaheim would mean he won’t be out of work long whether he wants to be or not.
Carlyle’s biggest ties are to the city of Winnipeg. But since Claude Noel is working out well enough (for now), True North folks probably won’t be looking to make a coaching change. Perhaps hiring Carlyle as an assistant would do well for both the team and the fans who remember him as one of the better defensemen in Jets history. He’s also got an extensive history with the True North executives from his days working with the Manitoba Moose.
Damien Cox of The Toronto Star opined this morning about how Carlyle’s ties to Leafs GM Brian Burke could make him an instant candidate to replace Ron Wilson if things don’t work out in Toronto this season. Burke, the savvy guy he is, took to Twitter this morning to say that he was sad for Carlyle but very happy with his coach. Well played, Burke.
That doesn’t mean Carlyle’s name won’t be the first to come up for other situations that could open up in the near future. Colorado, Columbus, and even Montreal could be in need of a coach soon and he’d help turn any of those situations around with his rugged style.
As for now, he’ll be content to sit at home and collect money on the three-year extension the Ducks gave him this summer. A potential three-year paid vacation? Who wouldn’t want that? Chances are, we’ll see Carlyle back behind a bench soon, just not Bruce Boudreau soon.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)