Dec 1, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Now that Randy Carlyle is out of a job in Anaheim, the curiosity as to what happens next for a Stanley Cup-winning coach can ramp up in earnest. You’d have to think that a guy with his resume in Anaheim would mean he won’t be out of work long whether he wants to be or not.
Carlyle’s biggest ties are to the city of Winnipeg. But since Claude Noel is working out well enough (for now), True North folks probably won’t be looking to make a coaching change. Perhaps hiring Carlyle as an assistant would do well for both the team and the fans who remember him as one of the better defensemen in Jets history. He’s also got an extensive history with the True North executives from his days working with the Manitoba Moose.
Damien Cox of The Toronto Star opined this morning about how Carlyle’s ties to Leafs GM Brian Burke could make him an instant candidate to replace Ron Wilson if things don’t work out in Toronto this season. Burke, the savvy guy he is, took to Twitter this morning to say that he was sad for Carlyle but very happy with his coach. Well played, Burke.
That doesn’t mean Carlyle’s name won’t be the first to come up for other situations that could open up in the near future. Colorado, Columbus, and even Montreal could be in need of a coach soon and he’d help turn any of those situations around with his rugged style.
As for now, he’ll be content to sit at home and collect money on the three-year extension the Ducks gave him this summer. A potential three-year paid vacation? Who wouldn’t want that? Chances are, we’ll see Carlyle back behind a bench soon, just not Bruce Boudreau soon.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54