Dec 1, 2011, 11:47 AM EDT
Millions of men woke up this morning, looked at themselves in the mirror, whipped out the razor and bid adieu to their dusters, signifying that — yes indeed — Movember is now over.
To celebrate, the National Hockey League announced that Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas was named Player of the Month.
(Appropriate, given the mask Thomas rocked throughout Movember.)
Thomas won all nine of his starts, which included three shutouts — one against Toronto, then two back-to-back against the Isles and Habs. His save percentage for the month was .941, topping his seemingly untoppable .938 from a season ago (an NHL record.) Most impressive, though, was the role he played in Boston’s amazing turnaround. The Bruins started November dead last in the Northeast Division at 4-7-0.
Today, they’re in first place at 15-7-1.
Second star of the month went to Chicago’s Jonathan Toews. Captain Serious pushed the Blackhawks to a first-place tie with Detroit in the Central Division with a huge effort — nine goals and 18 points, including a late-month evisceration of California. He had 2G3A-5PTS in a win over the Ducks on Nov. 25, then followed that up with the game-winning goal 24 hours later against Los Angeles.
Third star went to Toronto’s Joffrey Lupul. He registered at least a point in 12 of the Leafs’ 14 November games and saved his best performance for one of the biggest games — three assists in a 7-1 drubbing of the Washington Capitals. Lupul now has 30 points on the year, second-most in the NHL and just two back of the leader — teammate Phil Kessel.
Of note, Kessel was the NHL’s Player of the Month for October.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)