Dec 1, 2011, 11:47 AM EST
Millions of men woke up this morning, looked at themselves in the mirror, whipped out the razor and bid adieu to their dusters, signifying that — yes indeed — Movember is now over.
To celebrate, the National Hockey League announced that Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas was named Player of the Month.
(Appropriate, given the mask Thomas rocked throughout Movember.)
Thomas won all nine of his starts, which included three shutouts — one against Toronto, then two back-to-back against the Isles and Habs. His save percentage for the month was .941, topping his seemingly untoppable .938 from a season ago (an NHL record.) Most impressive, though, was the role he played in Boston’s amazing turnaround. The Bruins started November dead last in the Northeast Division at 4-7-0.
Today, they’re in first place at 15-7-1.
Second star of the month went to Chicago’s Jonathan Toews. Captain Serious pushed the Blackhawks to a first-place tie with Detroit in the Central Division with a huge effort — nine goals and 18 points, including a late-month evisceration of California. He had 2G3A-5PTS in a win over the Ducks on Nov. 25, then followed that up with the game-winning goal 24 hours later against Los Angeles.
Third star went to Toronto’s Joffrey Lupul. He registered at least a point in 12 of the Leafs’ 14 November games and saved his best performance for one of the biggest games — three assists in a 7-1 drubbing of the Washington Capitals. Lupul now has 30 points on the year, second-most in the NHL and just two back of the leader — teammate Phil Kessel.
Of note, Kessel was the NHL’s Player of the Month for October.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)