Dec 1, 2011, 10:54 AM EDT
Surprised that there’s not more heat for tonight’s Capitals-Penguins game in D.C.? We are too.
After all, Sidney Crosby gets to face off against the team that essentially knocked him out of action last season in the Winter Classic while Alex Ovechkin… Well, there’s Alex Ovechkin looking less-than awesome of late.
Crosby’s return to action has been everything it’s hoped to be. He’s looked fast, brilliant, and he’s scoring points in bunches. Meanwhile, Ovechkin’s struggles have been more than highlighted this season. Now with Bruce Boudreau out and Dale Hunter in, if ever there was a time for Ovechkin to announce his presence as a big time scorer once again, doing it against the Penguins would be a great time to do it.
The drama and hype that surrounds these two teams often makes fans pull their hair out, but tonight’s game couldn’t be more dramatic for a regular season game. Two megastars in two distinctly different places career-wise while their teams are dealing with drama of their own. The Pens have been rolling right along while the Caps have been on a roller coaster of emotion this season. Amazing how the teams mimic their stars’ production, isn’t it?
It’s the first of a handful of meetings between these two teams and these two stars, but if there was ever a time to have both stars blow up in big ways, this is it.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)