Dec 1, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Flyers captain Chris Pronger told reporters he’s still feeling the effects of an undiagnosed virus.
“I’ve never felt like this before,” Pronger said during a conference call on Thursday (courtesy CSN Philadelphia). “We’re still trying to ascertain what is going on…I really don’t know what is going on.”
Various medical tests — including those for a concussion — haven’t found a definitive answer as to what’s wrong with the 37-year-old rearguard. The virus first hit Pronger upon his return from Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — he played a season-high 26:41 against the Jets, coincidentally — and he’s been out of the lineup ever since.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.
“It’s been a bit of a mystery as to what exactly is going on. Did some blood work and we’re trying to get to the bottom of what is going on.”
Even though the illness and uncertainty surrounding it are worrisome, there is a bright side. The illness allowed Pronger the opportunity to get clean-up surgery on his left knee, which had been bothering him for most of the season.
“At this stage of the season, not knowing the other side of it, it was prudent to get it [surgery] done now and return in four weeks let’s say,” Pronger said. “So I’m able to get three weeks in before the All-Star break and put the hammer down after that as we get into the playoff push and stretch drive.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (60)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)