Dec 1, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Flyers captain Chris Pronger told reporters he’s still feeling the effects of an undiagnosed virus.
“I’ve never felt like this before,” Pronger said during a conference call on Thursday (courtesy CSN Philadelphia). “We’re still trying to ascertain what is going on…I really don’t know what is going on.”
Various medical tests — including those for a concussion — haven’t found a definitive answer as to what’s wrong with the 37-year-old rearguard. The virus first hit Pronger upon his return from Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — he played a season-high 26:41 against the Jets, coincidentally — and he’s been out of the lineup ever since.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.
“It’s been a bit of a mystery as to what exactly is going on. Did some blood work and we’re trying to get to the bottom of what is going on.”
Even though the illness and uncertainty surrounding it are worrisome, there is a bright side. The illness allowed Pronger the opportunity to get clean-up surgery on his left knee, which had been bothering him for most of the season.
“At this stage of the season, not knowing the other side of it, it was prudent to get it [surgery] done now and return in four weeks let’s say,” Pronger said. “So I’m able to get three weeks in before the All-Star break and put the hammer down after that as we get into the playoff push and stretch drive.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)