Dec 1, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Flyers captain Chris Pronger told reporters he’s still feeling the effects of an undiagnosed virus.
“I’ve never felt like this before,” Pronger said during a conference call on Thursday (courtesy CSN Philadelphia). “We’re still trying to ascertain what is going on…I really don’t know what is going on.”
Various medical tests — including those for a concussion — haven’t found a definitive answer as to what’s wrong with the 37-year-old rearguard. The virus first hit Pronger upon his return from Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — he played a season-high 26:41 against the Jets, coincidentally — and he’s been out of the lineup ever since.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.
“It’s been a bit of a mystery as to what exactly is going on. Did some blood work and we’re trying to get to the bottom of what is going on.”
Even though the illness and uncertainty surrounding it are worrisome, there is a bright side. The illness allowed Pronger the opportunity to get clean-up surgery on his left knee, which had been bothering him for most of the season.
“At this stage of the season, not knowing the other side of it, it was prudent to get it [surgery] done now and return in four weeks let’s say,” Pronger said. “So I’m able to get three weeks in before the All-Star break and put the hammer down after that as we get into the playoff push and stretch drive.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)