Dec 1, 2011, 1:04 PM EST
Flyers captain Chris Pronger told reporters he’s still feeling the effects of an undiagnosed virus.
“I’ve never felt like this before,” Pronger said during a conference call on Thursday (courtesy CSN Philadelphia). “We’re still trying to ascertain what is going on…I really don’t know what is going on.”
Various medical tests — including those for a concussion — haven’t found a definitive answer as to what’s wrong with the 37-year-old rearguard. The virus first hit Pronger upon his return from Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — he played a season-high 26:41 against the Jets, coincidentally — and he’s been out of the lineup ever since.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.
“It’s been a bit of a mystery as to what exactly is going on. Did some blood work and we’re trying to get to the bottom of what is going on.”
Even though the illness and uncertainty surrounding it are worrisome, there is a bright side. The illness allowed Pronger the opportunity to get clean-up surgery on his left knee, which had been bothering him for most of the season.
“At this stage of the season, not knowing the other side of it, it was prudent to get it [surgery] done now and return in four weeks let’s say,” Pronger said. “So I’m able to get three weeks in before the All-Star break and put the hammer down after that as we get into the playoff push and stretch drive.”
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)