Dec 1, 2011, 1:04 PM EST
Mike Grier probably didn’t want to go out like this but after 14 seasons in the NHL, he’s calling it quits. In a career that saw him start and end with the Buffalo Sabres — while playing in Edmonton, San Jose, and Washington in between — Grier was the consummate grinder.
Grier would never win nor play for a Stanley Cup, but his value to his teams was immense. After coming out of Boston University where he was a physical menace with a powerful goal scoring ability, his game adapted well to the NHL.
While he was able to score a few goals early on, he changed into a solid checking forward. That ability to fit into the game and the systems he played is what made him such a true professional.
All that ability, unfortunately, wasn’t enough to see him land a new job this offseason as Grier’s final games were played against the Flyers in the playoffs last season. If nothing else, Grier leaves the game with a hard-hitting legacy that won’t be forgotten.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 12
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 15
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 35
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)