Dec 1, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
“I feel that I’ll be back,” he told reporters today after taking a light skate, adding he needs to get back in the gym and regain his strength after being shut down for a month.
Staal suffered a concussion in February in a game against Carolina, courtesy a check from his brother, Eric.
Staal (Marc) came back in March and played all the way until the Rangers were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. He said it was “his decision to play,” though maybe he “sugar coated things” with regards to how he actually felt.
The Rangers (13-5-3) have been rolling along just fine without Staal, but you have to wonder how long before fatigue becomes a factor for fellow blue-liners Dan Girardi and Ryan McDonagh. Both defensemen have been forced to play big minutes in Staal’s absence. Girardi’s 27:41 per game is the highest in the NHL.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17