Dec 1, 2011, 9:06 AM EDT
Twitter can be a fun medium for everyone to use and sometimes you get accidental news out of it.
MSG analyst and former Devils defenseman Ken Daneyko let the cat out of the bag this morning that his old teammate and former Devils head coach John MacLean would be heading to Carolina to become Kirk Muller’s assistant coach.
With that news out of the bag, the Hurricanes confirmed the hiring themselves shortly thereafter.
MacLean was booted as Devils coach last season just 33 games going 9-22-2 and getting the Devils into such a big hole that they couldn’t recover to make the playoffs after a furious rally in the second half of the season. While MacLean had a rough go as a head coach, his record as an assistant in New Jersey was a good one and giving Muller an experienced guy and old teammate in his own right will make life a bit easier for him.
The other side of this is seeing so many guys I grew up watching play becoming coaches is making me feel awfully old. Time to lay down or chase the neighbor kids off the lawn I guess.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)