Dec 1, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
1. According to Elias Sports Bureau (courtesy CP’s Chris Johnston), Bruce Boudreau will have the fewest days pass (six) between coaching teams in NHL history.
Boudreau will coach the Ducks Friday when they host the Flyers; his last game with the Capitals was a 5-1 loss to Buffalo on Saturday.
2. Boudreau and Randy Carlyle were teammates with the Toronto Maple Leafs and CHL’s Dallas Black Hawks (best known for their ’10 cent beer night’ riot with the Fort Worth Wings).
Boudreau notes in his book, Gabby: Confessions of a Hockey Lifer, that Carlyle had an assist on his first career NHL goal.
I played with my nonbiological twin, Randy Carlyle, in Toronto and Dallas.
A lot of people thought we were brothers then and we could pass for brothers now. Randy is one of the most underrated players ever. Not too many people win the Norris Trophy. I don’t think he’s gotten his due as a great player
My goal was the first one of the game in a 6-0 Toronto win at Maple Leaf Gardens. I don’t know if I was floating or not. I came back near our blue line, and Randy Carlyle collected the puck behind our goal and fed me a pass that set up a breakaway … I shot over [Jim] Rutherford’s glove hand, top shelf and the puck went in. I jumped and went nuts.
3. From the 2007-08 season on (the year Boudreau took the Washington job; the year after Carlyle won a Cup in Anaheim), the two coaches combined for a 383-223-75 regular-season record.
4. From the 2007-08 season on, the two coaches combined for a 28-34 postseason record.
5. Bruce Cassidy, the 12th coach in Capitals history, coached in Washington from 2002-04. His assistants during that time were Glen Hanlon and Randy Carlyle. Boudreau replaced Hanlon as Caps head coach in 2007 (Hanlon had replaced Cassidy) and now replaces Carlyle as head coach of the Ducks. (h/t Japer’s Rink)
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)