Dec 1, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
1. According to Elias Sports Bureau (courtesy CP’s Chris Johnston), Bruce Boudreau will have the fewest days pass (six) between coaching teams in NHL history.
Boudreau will coach the Ducks Friday when they host the Flyers; his last game with the Capitals was a 5-1 loss to Buffalo on Saturday.
2. Boudreau and Randy Carlyle were teammates with the Toronto Maple Leafs and CHL’s Dallas Black Hawks (best known for their ’10 cent beer night’ riot with the Fort Worth Wings).
Boudreau notes in his book, Gabby: Confessions of a Hockey Lifer, that Carlyle had an assist on his first career NHL goal.
I played with my nonbiological twin, Randy Carlyle, in Toronto and Dallas.
A lot of people thought we were brothers then and we could pass for brothers now. Randy is one of the most underrated players ever. Not too many people win the Norris Trophy. I don’t think he’s gotten his due as a great player
My goal was the first one of the game in a 6-0 Toronto win at Maple Leaf Gardens. I don’t know if I was floating or not. I came back near our blue line, and Randy Carlyle collected the puck behind our goal and fed me a pass that set up a breakaway … I shot over [Jim] Rutherford’s glove hand, top shelf and the puck went in. I jumped and went nuts.
3. From the 2007-08 season on (the year Boudreau took the Washington job; the year after Carlyle won a Cup in Anaheim), the two coaches combined for a 383-223-75 regular-season record.
4. From the 2007-08 season on, the two coaches combined for a 28-34 postseason record.
5. Bruce Cassidy, the 12th coach in Capitals history, coached in Washington from 2002-04. His assistants during that time were Glen Hanlon and Randy Carlyle. Boudreau replaced Hanlon as Caps head coach in 2007 (Hanlon had replaced Cassidy) and now replaces Carlyle as head coach of the Ducks. (h/t Japer’s Rink)
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 2
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 2
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 32
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 36
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot