Dec 1, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
1. According to Elias Sports Bureau (courtesy CP’s Chris Johnston), Bruce Boudreau will have the fewest days pass (six) between coaching teams in NHL history.
Boudreau will coach the Ducks Friday when they host the Flyers; his last game with the Capitals was a 5-1 loss to Buffalo on Saturday.
2. Boudreau and Randy Carlyle were teammates with the Toronto Maple Leafs and CHL’s Dallas Black Hawks (best known for their ’10 cent beer night’ riot with the Fort Worth Wings).
Boudreau notes in his book, Gabby: Confessions of a Hockey Lifer, that Carlyle had an assist on his first career NHL goal.
I played with my nonbiological twin, Randy Carlyle, in Toronto and Dallas.
A lot of people thought we were brothers then and we could pass for brothers now. Randy is one of the most underrated players ever. Not too many people win the Norris Trophy. I don’t think he’s gotten his due as a great player
My goal was the first one of the game in a 6-0 Toronto win at Maple Leaf Gardens. I don’t know if I was floating or not. I came back near our blue line, and Randy Carlyle collected the puck behind our goal and fed me a pass that set up a breakaway … I shot over [Jim] Rutherford’s glove hand, top shelf and the puck went in. I jumped and went nuts.
3. From the 2007-08 season on (the year Boudreau took the Washington job; the year after Carlyle won a Cup in Anaheim), the two coaches combined for a 383-223-75 regular-season record.
4. From the 2007-08 season on, the two coaches combined for a 28-34 postseason record.
5. Bruce Cassidy, the 12th coach in Capitals history, coached in Washington from 2002-04. His assistants during that time were Glen Hanlon and Randy Carlyle. Boudreau replaced Hanlon as Caps head coach in 2007 (Hanlon had replaced Cassidy) and now replaces Carlyle as head coach of the Ducks. (h/t Japer’s Rink)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 36
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)