Dec 1, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
After seeing Randy Carlyle fired after the Ducks beat the Canadiens last night and seeing Bruce Boudreau named to replace him, we’re all still shaking the dust out of our eyes thanks to the whirlwind of action.
When last we saw Boudreau he was watching his former Caps team get humiliated by a broken down Sabres team in Buffalo. Now he gets to play the awkward role once again of a guy filling in mid-season and he’s walking into a situation eerily similar to the one he left.
The Ducks are seeing their top players all struggling. Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan have seen the worst of it up front while Jonas Hiller has had a terrible go of things in goal. The rumors out of Anaheim say that their top stars all tuned out Carlyle leading the team to play so poorly of late dropping 16 of their last 19.
Boudreau’s Caps didn’t slump that hard but faced similar issues. The big difference here is that Boudreau heads to Anaheim as a players’ coach. Carlyle was notoriously hard on the Ducks and worked that team so hard they may have decided collectively that they’d just had enough. Once the message stops getting through there’s not much a coach can do and that’s something Boudreau knows all too well.
Now he heads in with a bevy of superstars capable of filling the net but with a team lacking in depth all over the ice. Anaheim’s essentially got two good lines and a great (but slumping) goalie. Getting Getzlaf and Ryan turned around will cure a lot of ills. Helping the Ducks find their defensive snarl will help too.
If Boudreau’s arrival and team tweaks don’t help turn things around, GM Bob Murray might start getting really nervous about his job and all the insane Bobby Ryan speculation might just persist. This team doesn’t need more distractions, they need answers.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 34
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 43
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot