Dec 1, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
After seeing Randy Carlyle fired after the Ducks beat the Canadiens last night and seeing Bruce Boudreau named to replace him, we’re all still shaking the dust out of our eyes thanks to the whirlwind of action.
When last we saw Boudreau he was watching his former Caps team get humiliated by a broken down Sabres team in Buffalo. Now he gets to play the awkward role once again of a guy filling in mid-season and he’s walking into a situation eerily similar to the one he left.
The Ducks are seeing their top players all struggling. Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan have seen the worst of it up front while Jonas Hiller has had a terrible go of things in goal. The rumors out of Anaheim say that their top stars all tuned out Carlyle leading the team to play so poorly of late dropping 16 of their last 19.
Boudreau’s Caps didn’t slump that hard but faced similar issues. The big difference here is that Boudreau heads to Anaheim as a players’ coach. Carlyle was notoriously hard on the Ducks and worked that team so hard they may have decided collectively that they’d just had enough. Once the message stops getting through there’s not much a coach can do and that’s something Boudreau knows all too well.
Now he heads in with a bevy of superstars capable of filling the net but with a team lacking in depth all over the ice. Anaheim’s essentially got two good lines and a great (but slumping) goalie. Getting Getzlaf and Ryan turned around will cure a lot of ills. Helping the Ducks find their defensive snarl will help too.
If Boudreau’s arrival and team tweaks don’t help turn things around, GM Bob Murray might start getting really nervous about his job and all the insane Bobby Ryan speculation might just persist. This team doesn’t need more distractions, they need answers.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)