Dec 1, 2011, 7:30 AM EST
After seeing Randy Carlyle fired after the Ducks beat the Canadiens last night and seeing Bruce Boudreau named to replace him, we’re all still shaking the dust out of our eyes thanks to the whirlwind of action.
When last we saw Boudreau he was watching his former Caps team get humiliated by a broken down Sabres team in Buffalo. Now he gets to play the awkward role once again of a guy filling in mid-season and he’s walking into a situation eerily similar to the one he left.
The Ducks are seeing their top players all struggling. Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan have seen the worst of it up front while Jonas Hiller has had a terrible go of things in goal. The rumors out of Anaheim say that their top stars all tuned out Carlyle leading the team to play so poorly of late dropping 16 of their last 19.
Boudreau’s Caps didn’t slump that hard but faced similar issues. The big difference here is that Boudreau heads to Anaheim as a players’ coach. Carlyle was notoriously hard on the Ducks and worked that team so hard they may have decided collectively that they’d just had enough. Once the message stops getting through there’s not much a coach can do and that’s something Boudreau knows all too well.
Now he heads in with a bevy of superstars capable of filling the net but with a team lacking in depth all over the ice. Anaheim’s essentially got two good lines and a great (but slumping) goalie. Getting Getzlaf and Ryan turned around will cure a lot of ills. Helping the Ducks find their defensive snarl will help too.
If Boudreau’s arrival and team tweaks don’t help turn things around, GM Bob Murray might start getting really nervous about his job and all the insane Bobby Ryan speculation might just persist. This team doesn’t need more distractions, they need answers.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)