Dec 1, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
Today, he’s cashing in on a monster three-year extension with the Bruins. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Krejci’s extension comes with a cap hit of $5.25 million bringing the total of the deal to $15.75 million for the term.
Krejci’s been great in Boston the last two seasons having Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton to play alongside on his line, but having him cash in with this large of a deal is a bit of a shock, especially with Peter Chiarelli in charge in Boston. The Bruins have oodles of cap space coming up over the next few seasons, but they’ll also have to pay up big to Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand again in the near future as well.
This isn’t to rain on Krejci’s parade, it’s just a really curious big payday from a team that’s been very cap smart. Krejci’s been a steady top line player for the Bruins his last three seasons and he’s doing it again this year. There’s no reason to think he’s going to fall off a cliff performance-wise, but Krejci is also three seasons removed from his best season.
Then again, if he just winds up being their most clutch performer in the playoffs each year, like he was last season, then perhaps everyone won’t judge the deal as harshly.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 3
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)