Dec 1, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
Today, he’s cashing in on a monster three-year extension with the Bruins. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Krejci’s extension comes with a cap hit of $5.25 million bringing the total of the deal to $15.75 million for the term.
Krejci’s been great in Boston the last two seasons having Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton to play alongside on his line, but having him cash in with this large of a deal is a bit of a shock, especially with Peter Chiarelli in charge in Boston. The Bruins have oodles of cap space coming up over the next few seasons, but they’ll also have to pay up big to Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand again in the near future as well.
This isn’t to rain on Krejci’s parade, it’s just a really curious big payday from a team that’s been very cap smart. Krejci’s been a steady top line player for the Bruins his last three seasons and he’s doing it again this year. There’s no reason to think he’s going to fall off a cliff performance-wise, but Krejci is also three seasons removed from his best season.
Then again, if he just winds up being their most clutch performer in the playoffs each year, like he was last season, then perhaps everyone won’t judge the deal as harshly.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming