Dec 1, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
Today, he’s cashing in on a monster three-year extension with the Bruins. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Krejci’s extension comes with a cap hit of $5.25 million bringing the total of the deal to $15.75 million for the term.
Krejci’s been great in Boston the last two seasons having Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton to play alongside on his line, but having him cash in with this large of a deal is a bit of a shock, especially with Peter Chiarelli in charge in Boston. The Bruins have oodles of cap space coming up over the next few seasons, but they’ll also have to pay up big to Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand again in the near future as well.
This isn’t to rain on Krejci’s parade, it’s just a really curious big payday from a team that’s been very cap smart. Krejci’s been a steady top line player for the Bruins his last three seasons and he’s doing it again this year. There’s no reason to think he’s going to fall off a cliff performance-wise, but Krejci is also three seasons removed from his best season.
Then again, if he just winds up being their most clutch performer in the playoffs each year, like he was last season, then perhaps everyone won’t judge the deal as harshly.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)