Dec 1, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
Today, he’s cashing in on a monster three-year extension with the Bruins. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Krejci’s extension comes with a cap hit of $5.25 million bringing the total of the deal to $15.75 million for the term.
Krejci’s been great in Boston the last two seasons having Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton to play alongside on his line, but having him cash in with this large of a deal is a bit of a shock, especially with Peter Chiarelli in charge in Boston. The Bruins have oodles of cap space coming up over the next few seasons, but they’ll also have to pay up big to Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand again in the near future as well.
This isn’t to rain on Krejci’s parade, it’s just a really curious big payday from a team that’s been very cap smart. Krejci’s been a steady top line player for the Bruins his last three seasons and he’s doing it again this year. There’s no reason to think he’s going to fall off a cliff performance-wise, but Krejci is also three seasons removed from his best season.
Then again, if he just winds up being their most clutch performer in the playoffs each year, like he was last season, then perhaps everyone won’t judge the deal as harshly.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 0
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 27
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 20
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 19
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 42
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)