Dec 1, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
Today, he’s cashing in on a monster three-year extension with the Bruins. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Krejci’s extension comes with a cap hit of $5.25 million bringing the total of the deal to $15.75 million for the term.
Krejci’s been great in Boston the last two seasons having Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton to play alongside on his line, but having him cash in with this large of a deal is a bit of a shock, especially with Peter Chiarelli in charge in Boston. The Bruins have oodles of cap space coming up over the next few seasons, but they’ll also have to pay up big to Tyler Seguin, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand again in the near future as well.
This isn’t to rain on Krejci’s parade, it’s just a really curious big payday from a team that’s been very cap smart. Krejci’s been a steady top line player for the Bruins his last three seasons and he’s doing it again this year. There’s no reason to think he’s going to fall off a cliff performance-wise, but Krejci is also three seasons removed from his best season.
Then again, if he just winds up being their most clutch performer in the playoffs each year, like he was last season, then perhaps everyone won’t judge the deal as harshly.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 0
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)