Nov 30, 2011, 4:10 PM EST
Okay, really complimentary. He called Seguin a superstar.
Really, Chris? A superstar?
“Yeah, I think so,” Kelly told the Canadian Press. “He’s 19 years old. Most 19-year-old guys are playing junior hockey getting $50 a week. They’re not being a consistent point producer in the NHL on a good hockey team (that) won a Stanley Cup.
“The sky’s the limit for him. I think it’s in his hands how far he wants to go.”
Seguin leads the NHL in plus-minus (plus-19) and is T-20th in scoring with 23 points. While he’s not the youngest player in the top-20 — that distinction goes to Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who’s 18 — he might have the most dramatic flair. With less than 100 NHL games to his credit, Seguin has already won Game 7 of a Stanley Cup final, scored six points in his first two playoff games and notched his first career hat trick against Toronto (on Hockey Night in Canada, no less.)
The prospect of “Tyler Seguin, Superstar” is scary for the rest of the NHL. An argument could be made that the Bruins already have the game’s best defenseman (Zdeno Chara) and goaltender (Tim Thomas).
To think they’re fast-tracking the next great forward….yikes.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 1
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 62
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 65
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 64
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 169
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (169)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (68)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (65)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (62)