Nov 30, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT
Okay, really complimentary. He called Seguin a superstar.
Really, Chris? A superstar?
“Yeah, I think so,” Kelly told the Canadian Press. “He’s 19 years old. Most 19-year-old guys are playing junior hockey getting $50 a week. They’re not being a consistent point producer in the NHL on a good hockey team (that) won a Stanley Cup.
“The sky’s the limit for him. I think it’s in his hands how far he wants to go.”
Seguin leads the NHL in plus-minus (plus-19) and is T-20th in scoring with 23 points. While he’s not the youngest player in the top-20 — that distinction goes to Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who’s 18 — he might have the most dramatic flair. With less than 100 NHL games to his credit, Seguin has already won Game 7 of a Stanley Cup final, scored six points in his first two playoff games and notched his first career hat trick against Toronto (on Hockey Night in Canada, no less.)
The prospect of “Tyler Seguin, Superstar” is scary for the rest of the NHL. An argument could be made that the Bruins already have the game’s best defenseman (Zdeno Chara) and goaltender (Tim Thomas).
To think they’re fast-tracking the next great forward….yikes.
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year deal 2
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 54
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (54)