Nov 30, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Tonight very well could be Fabian Brunnstrom’s last shot to make a name for himself in not just Detroit but the NHL as well. Brunnstrom gets the call to start tonight against Tampa Bay and after alternating between being a healthy scratch and riding the bus to the AHL and back, his future is in his hands.
As Helene St. James reports, Brunnstrom will be on the Wings’ third line with Darren Helm and Dan Cleary but it’s Wings coach Mike Babcock that makes it plain as day that this is his big opportunity to show he can cut it in the big leagues. Babcock says that the opportunity for him is there now and that if he doesn’t seize the day, it might not come around again.
With his career ups and downs in Dallas, Toronto, and now Detroit if Brunnstrom can’t show he’s got the skills tonight it’s tough to imagine he’ll get another chance elsewhere aside from the AHL.
Carpe diem, Fabian.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32