Nov 30, 2011, 1:21 PM EST
Tonight very well could be Fabian Brunnstrom’s last shot to make a name for himself in not just Detroit but the NHL as well. Brunnstrom gets the call to start tonight against Tampa Bay and after alternating between being a healthy scratch and riding the bus to the AHL and back, his future is in his hands.
As Helene St. James reports, Brunnstrom will be on the Wings’ third line with Darren Helm and Dan Cleary but it’s Wings coach Mike Babcock that makes it plain as day that this is his big opportunity to show he can cut it in the big leagues. Babcock says that the opportunity for him is there now and that if he doesn’t seize the day, it might not come around again.
With his career ups and downs in Dallas, Toronto, and now Detroit if Brunnstrom can’t show he’s got the skills tonight it’s tough to imagine he’ll get another chance elsewhere aside from the AHL.
Carpe diem, Fabian.
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 5
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 45
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63