Nov 30, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
With the talk of Bobby Ryan being apparently shopped around by the Ducks, it only makes sense that we’ll get some wild ideas. Yesterday it was the New York Rangers kicking the tires and today’s hot rumor involves the Buffalo Sabres.
Bucky Gleason of The Buffalo News drops a little bit of curious knowledge on us saying that while Ducks GM Bob Murray was in Buffalo the other night scouting the Sabres, Murray has also called the Sabres about a possible Ryan Miller for Bobby Ryan swap. Hey, if you’re going to make a trade, you might as well go big.
While it’s just idle speculation for now, this rumor plays into what the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson mentioned about Miller being OK with being moved. Matheson said that Miller would be all right with going to the west coast because that’s where his wife is trying to also advance her career in southern California.
Of course, Miller’s already shot down the notion that he’d want to be traded, but if there was anything to these rumors, it’d make for a fascinating discussion. After all, Ryan says he wouldn’t be surprised if he’s sent packing. There’s also the fact that Jonas Hiller is already being paid a ton of money to play goal in Anaheim already.
There’s a ton of salary that would be moving around as well and Miller has a bigger contract than Ryan. For the budget-conscience Ducks that’d make for a harder sell. In all likelihood there’s not much going on here other than GMs talking with each other, but the fantasy GM in all of us can’t get enough of the talk.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 8
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)