Nov 30, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
If you’re a hockey buff with a love for the past, today’s a day that will make you more than a bit sad. Maple Leaf Gardens, the classic old building that was once home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, has been remade and turned into something a bit more modern.
A gourmet grocery store.
What once used to be the home of Johnny Bower and Maple Leaf Stanley Cup winning teams in the 40s, 50s, and 60s is now instead a Loblaw’s grocery store. It’s not a reference to “Arrested Development” otherwise it’d be genius. Instead of reliving the memories of days gone by and soaking in the hockey history, foodies will get their fill of funky cheeses and other assorted goodies.
Sadly, re-purposing classic old hockey haunts like this is nothing new. Just look at the Montreal Forum which is now a shopping mall with a movie theater. It beats having these relics to hockey being torn down, but man does it hurt to see it become something else entirely.
Instead of being sad, however, we’ll just pour out a bottle of high end wine for the old Maple Leaf Gardens out of respect.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)