Nov 30, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
If you’re a hockey buff with a love for the past, today’s a day that will make you more than a bit sad. Maple Leaf Gardens, the classic old building that was once home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, has been remade and turned into something a bit more modern.
A gourmet grocery store.
What once used to be the home of Johnny Bower and Maple Leaf Stanley Cup winning teams in the 40s, 50s, and 60s is now instead a Loblaw’s grocery store. It’s not a reference to “Arrested Development” otherwise it’d be genius. Instead of reliving the memories of days gone by and soaking in the hockey history, foodies will get their fill of funky cheeses and other assorted goodies.
Sadly, re-purposing classic old hockey haunts like this is nothing new. Just look at the Montreal Forum which is now a shopping mall with a movie theater. It beats having these relics to hockey being torn down, but man does it hurt to see it become something else entirely.
Instead of being sad, however, we’ll just pour out a bottle of high end wine for the old Maple Leaf Gardens out of respect.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)