Nov 30, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
If you’re a hockey buff with a love for the past, today’s a day that will make you more than a bit sad. Maple Leaf Gardens, the classic old building that was once home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, has been remade and turned into something a bit more modern.
A gourmet grocery store.
What once used to be the home of Johnny Bower and Maple Leaf Stanley Cup winning teams in the 40s, 50s, and 60s is now instead a Loblaw’s grocery store. It’s not a reference to “Arrested Development” otherwise it’d be genius. Instead of reliving the memories of days gone by and soaking in the hockey history, foodies will get their fill of funky cheeses and other assorted goodies.
Sadly, re-purposing classic old hockey haunts like this is nothing new. Just look at the Montreal Forum which is now a shopping mall with a movie theater. It beats having these relics to hockey being torn down, but man does it hurt to see it become something else entirely.
Instead of being sad, however, we’ll just pour out a bottle of high end wine for the old Maple Leaf Gardens out of respect.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 0
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 1
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 3
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)