Nov 30, 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
PHT Oddsmaker will be a regular feature where we set pretend odds and pretend to gamble on them. If you’d like to bet real money, meet us in the alley and we’ll talk.
Odds Cory Schneider will be Vancouver’s starting goalie for Game 1 of the playoffs (+300)
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said yesterday that Roberto Luongo was still the team’s first choice in goal. His exact words were, “Obviously, Roberto is our No. 1 goaltender.” However, it might not be so obvious come April. Schneider is 7-4-0 with a 1.93 GAA and .937 SV%. Nobody’s expecting him to maintain that pace forever, but what happens if, at the end of the regular season, he’s outplayed Luongo? If that’s the case – and it’s not exactly a stretch – the only legitimate reason to go with Luongo is playoff experience. The big contract should play absolutely no role in the coach’s decision. And to be fair, it’s never really played a role. Vigneault started Schneider in Game 6 against the Blackhawks and he’s riding Schneider now. I’ll take +300.
Odds the Predators sign Ryan Suter to a long-term contract (-125)
If you believe his agent, Suter “wants to be” in Nashville. However, Neil Sheehy also said there are “issues” that still need to be addressed. One of those issues will be money. Obviously. But another will be the Preds’ chances of ever winning a Stanley Cup. Even when you’re a millionaire, it’s frustrating to play for a team with no shot at a championship. And looking at Nashville’s current roster, the chances are pretty slim. Ownership can promise it’ll spend to the cap and bring in some high-priced forwards, but that would be a huge leap of faith for Suter to take. Why not be a millionaire in Detroit, where you’re guaranteed to pass the puck up to forwards like Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg? With Nicklas Lidstrom close to retirement and loads of cap space for Ken Holland to play with, I think I’ll pass on this bet.
Odds the Capitals win the Southeast Division (-200)
They’re currently in second, five points back of Florida (with a game in hand) and one point ahead of Tampa Bay (each team has played 23 games). We’ll leave Winnipeg and Carolina out of the discussion. As poorly as the Caps are playing, it’s hard to picture them finishing behind anyone in the Southeast. No offense to the Panthers, but they’re overachieving. The Lightning has top-end talent, but depth and goaltending are significant concerns. Washington will put a run together eventually. The Caps should receive a big boost once Mike Green gets healthy. I’m confident they’ll win the division, even at -200.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 8
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 42
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot