Nov 30, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
Attention: NHL general managers. Don’t be scared to call the Toronto Maple Leafs about a trade. They’re always listening. Any player you want, go ahead and make an offer.
At least that’s what assistant GM Dave Nonis told SPORTSNET 590 The FAN radio this morning.
“I’ve always felt the word ‘untouchable’ is really ridiculous. At some point, there’s a deal that would make sense for everyone,” Nonis said.
“We couldn’t see ourselves moving Kessel or Phaneuf. They are players that would be difficult to move. (But) teams that have gotten better in this league through trade have always listened on virtually every player,” Nonis said. “But it doesn’t mean you’re shopping players — always listening on every player. There (are) very few players in this league that are untouchable on every team.”
But…but…that’s not what Brian Burke said when he took over as general manager. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported in December of 2008 that Burke wasn’t listening to any offers for defenseman Luke Schenn. Though maybe that’s just semantics. If Burke had received a ridiculously generous offer for Schenn, surely he’d have listened to it.
It’s still an interesting comment for Nonis to make. It would’ve been easy enough to say Kessel and Phaneuf were off limits…
Oh. My. God. The Leafs are trading Kessel and Phaneuf!
Spread the word.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 2
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)