Nov 30, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
Attention: NHL general managers. Don’t be scared to call the Toronto Maple Leafs about a trade. They’re always listening. Any player you want, go ahead and make an offer.
At least that’s what assistant GM Dave Nonis told SPORTSNET 590 The FAN radio this morning.
“I’ve always felt the word ‘untouchable’ is really ridiculous. At some point, there’s a deal that would make sense for everyone,” Nonis said.
“We couldn’t see ourselves moving Kessel or Phaneuf. They are players that would be difficult to move. (But) teams that have gotten better in this league through trade have always listened on virtually every player,” Nonis said. “But it doesn’t mean you’re shopping players — always listening on every player. There (are) very few players in this league that are untouchable on every team.”
But…but…that’s not what Brian Burke said when he took over as general manager. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported in December of 2008 that Burke wasn’t listening to any offers for defenseman Luke Schenn. Though maybe that’s just semantics. If Burke had received a ridiculously generous offer for Schenn, surely he’d have listened to it.
It’s still an interesting comment for Nonis to make. It would’ve been easy enough to say Kessel and Phaneuf were off limits…
Oh. My. God. The Leafs are trading Kessel and Phaneuf!
Spread the word.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)