Nov 30, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
Attention: NHL general managers. Don’t be scared to call the Toronto Maple Leafs about a trade. They’re always listening. Any player you want, go ahead and make an offer.
At least that’s what assistant GM Dave Nonis told SPORTSNET 590 The FAN radio this morning.
“I’ve always felt the word ‘untouchable’ is really ridiculous. At some point, there’s a deal that would make sense for everyone,” Nonis said.
“We couldn’t see ourselves moving Kessel or Phaneuf. They are players that would be difficult to move. (But) teams that have gotten better in this league through trade have always listened on virtually every player,” Nonis said. “But it doesn’t mean you’re shopping players — always listening on every player. There (are) very few players in this league that are untouchable on every team.”
But…but…that’s not what Brian Burke said when he took over as general manager. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported in December of 2008 that Burke wasn’t listening to any offers for defenseman Luke Schenn. Though maybe that’s just semantics. If Burke had received a ridiculously generous offer for Schenn, surely he’d have listened to it.
It’s still an interesting comment for Nonis to make. It would’ve been easy enough to say Kessel and Phaneuf were off limits…
Oh. My. God. The Leafs are trading Kessel and Phaneuf!
Spread the word.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)