Nov 30, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
Attention: NHL general managers. Don’t be scared to call the Toronto Maple Leafs about a trade. They’re always listening. Any player you want, go ahead and make an offer.
At least that’s what assistant GM Dave Nonis told SPORTSNET 590 The FAN radio this morning.
“I’ve always felt the word ‘untouchable’ is really ridiculous. At some point, there’s a deal that would make sense for everyone,” Nonis said.
“We couldn’t see ourselves moving Kessel or Phaneuf. They are players that would be difficult to move. (But) teams that have gotten better in this league through trade have always listened on virtually every player,” Nonis said. “But it doesn’t mean you’re shopping players — always listening on every player. There (are) very few players in this league that are untouchable on every team.”
But…but…that’s not what Brian Burke said when he took over as general manager. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported in December of 2008 that Burke wasn’t listening to any offers for defenseman Luke Schenn. Though maybe that’s just semantics. If Burke had received a ridiculously generous offer for Schenn, surely he’d have listened to it.
It’s still an interesting comment for Nonis to make. It would’ve been easy enough to say Kessel and Phaneuf were off limits…
Oh. My. God. The Leafs are trading Kessel and Phaneuf!
Spread the word.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming