Nov 30, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
Attention: NHL general managers. Don’t be scared to call the Toronto Maple Leafs about a trade. They’re always listening. Any player you want, go ahead and make an offer.
At least that’s what assistant GM Dave Nonis told SPORTSNET 590 The FAN radio this morning.
“I’ve always felt the word ‘untouchable’ is really ridiculous. At some point, there’s a deal that would make sense for everyone,” Nonis said.
“We couldn’t see ourselves moving Kessel or Phaneuf. They are players that would be difficult to move. (But) teams that have gotten better in this league through trade have always listened on virtually every player,” Nonis said. “But it doesn’t mean you’re shopping players — always listening on every player. There (are) very few players in this league that are untouchable on every team.”
But…but…that’s not what Brian Burke said when he took over as general manager. TSN’s Darren Dreger reported in December of 2008 that Burke wasn’t listening to any offers for defenseman Luke Schenn. Though maybe that’s just semantics. If Burke had received a ridiculously generous offer for Schenn, surely he’d have listened to it.
It’s still an interesting comment for Nonis to make. It would’ve been easy enough to say Kessel and Phaneuf were off limits…
Oh. My. God. The Leafs are trading Kessel and Phaneuf!
Spread the word.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)