Nov 30, 2011, 8:41 AM EST
The Maple Leafs might be in first place in the Northeast Division today, but with a game against Boston tonight (and another on Saturday) if the Leafs are going to show they’re for real, sending that message to the defending Cup champions would be a good start.
In the Leafs previous two games with Boston this season they’ve been humiliated. Getting beaten 6-2 and 7-0 while seeing Tyler Seguin blow up for a combined four goals and two assists in those games does nothing to calm the collective psyche of the fan base. Seeing Phil Kessel get swarmed over and kept quiet doesn’t help either.
For the Leafs, they’ll have to find a way to beat Tim Thomas or Tuukka Rask and hope that at least tonight they can get another solid performance from Jonas Gustavsson. The Monster has done well of late, but he looked brutal in both previous losses this year. With James Reimer getting closer to returning to action that will help, but for now it’s all on Gustavsson.
Having the Bruins play the part of the schoolyard bully to them has to get old for the players and sacking up and getting after them in these next two games would help us buy into the Leafs being a serious playoff contender. Talking big is one thing, but showing you’re worthy of the praise is something else entirely.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 26
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)