Nov 30, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames won their second straight last night with a 1-0 victory over Nashville. They’re still seven points out of a playoff position, but, hey, progress.
Flames captain Jarome Iginla is hoping more wins are on the horizon, if only to quell the rampant speculation he’ll be traded.
“The best way to stop the stories is to win games and climb up in the standings,” Iginla told reporters, as per the Calgary Herald.
But can the Flames win enough games before the trade deadline (Feb. 28) to make the rumors go away?
“Sixty games left. It’s a lot of season left,” Iginla said. “Things change so fast. Every 10 games, there’s a new storyline or whatever. Sixty is a lot of games and a lot of time for us, I believe, to make our way back.”
A probability expert (read: math geek) wouldn’t be so optimistic about Calgary’s chances to make the playoffs. In fact, Sports Club Stats has the Flames’ chances at 13.2 percent.
True, the Boston Bruins managed to rocket up the standings in a matter of weeks; however, the Flames aren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs. Calgary hasn’t experienced the postseason since 2009 for a reason.
Expect Iginla to keep saying all the right things in public – for example, “There’s going to be a lot of changes over the next 60 games in the standings, and we believe we’re going to be moving up” – but don’t expect the stories to go away. Especially on PHT!
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)