Nov 30, 2011, 1:10 PM EST
The Calgary Flames won their second straight last night with a 1-0 victory over Nashville. They’re still seven points out of a playoff position, but, hey, progress.
Flames captain Jarome Iginla is hoping more wins are on the horizon, if only to quell the rampant speculation he’ll be traded.
“The best way to stop the stories is to win games and climb up in the standings,” Iginla told reporters, as per the Calgary Herald.
But can the Flames win enough games before the trade deadline (Feb. 28) to make the rumors go away?
“Sixty games left. It’s a lot of season left,” Iginla said. “Things change so fast. Every 10 games, there’s a new storyline or whatever. Sixty is a lot of games and a lot of time for us, I believe, to make our way back.”
A probability expert (read: math geek) wouldn’t be so optimistic about Calgary’s chances to make the playoffs. In fact, Sports Club Stats has the Flames’ chances at 13.2 percent.
True, the Boston Bruins managed to rocket up the standings in a matter of weeks; however, the Flames aren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs. Calgary hasn’t experienced the postseason since 2009 for a reason.
Expect Iginla to keep saying all the right things in public – for example, “There’s going to be a lot of changes over the next 60 games in the standings, and we believe we’re going to be moving up” – but don’t expect the stories to go away. Especially on PHT!
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 25
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)