Nov 30, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames won their second straight last night with a 1-0 victory over Nashville. They’re still seven points out of a playoff position, but, hey, progress.
Flames captain Jarome Iginla is hoping more wins are on the horizon, if only to quell the rampant speculation he’ll be traded.
“The best way to stop the stories is to win games and climb up in the standings,” Iginla told reporters, as per the Calgary Herald.
But can the Flames win enough games before the trade deadline (Feb. 28) to make the rumors go away?
“Sixty games left. It’s a lot of season left,” Iginla said. “Things change so fast. Every 10 games, there’s a new storyline or whatever. Sixty is a lot of games and a lot of time for us, I believe, to make our way back.”
A probability expert (read: math geek) wouldn’t be so optimistic about Calgary’s chances to make the playoffs. In fact, Sports Club Stats has the Flames’ chances at 13.2 percent.
True, the Boston Bruins managed to rocket up the standings in a matter of weeks; however, the Flames aren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs. Calgary hasn’t experienced the postseason since 2009 for a reason.
Expect Iginla to keep saying all the right things in public – for example, “There’s going to be a lot of changes over the next 60 games in the standings, and we believe we’re going to be moving up” – but don’t expect the stories to go away. Especially on PHT!
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)