Nov 30, 2011, 1:10 PM EST
The Calgary Flames won their second straight last night with a 1-0 victory over Nashville. They’re still seven points out of a playoff position, but, hey, progress.
Flames captain Jarome Iginla is hoping more wins are on the horizon, if only to quell the rampant speculation he’ll be traded.
“The best way to stop the stories is to win games and climb up in the standings,” Iginla told reporters, as per the Calgary Herald.
But can the Flames win enough games before the trade deadline (Feb. 28) to make the rumors go away?
“Sixty games left. It’s a lot of season left,” Iginla said. “Things change so fast. Every 10 games, there’s a new storyline or whatever. Sixty is a lot of games and a lot of time for us, I believe, to make our way back.”
A probability expert (read: math geek) wouldn’t be so optimistic about Calgary’s chances to make the playoffs. In fact, Sports Club Stats has the Flames’ chances at 13.2 percent.
True, the Boston Bruins managed to rocket up the standings in a matter of weeks; however, the Flames aren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs. Calgary hasn’t experienced the postseason since 2009 for a reason.
Expect Iginla to keep saying all the right things in public – for example, “There’s going to be a lot of changes over the next 60 games in the standings, and we believe we’re going to be moving up” – but don’t expect the stories to go away. Especially on PHT!
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)