Nov 30, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames won their second straight last night with a 1-0 victory over Nashville. They’re still seven points out of a playoff position, but, hey, progress.
Flames captain Jarome Iginla is hoping more wins are on the horizon, if only to quell the rampant speculation he’ll be traded.
“The best way to stop the stories is to win games and climb up in the standings,” Iginla told reporters, as per the Calgary Herald.
But can the Flames win enough games before the trade deadline (Feb. 28) to make the rumors go away?
“Sixty games left. It’s a lot of season left,” Iginla said. “Things change so fast. Every 10 games, there’s a new storyline or whatever. Sixty is a lot of games and a lot of time for us, I believe, to make our way back.”
A probability expert (read: math geek) wouldn’t be so optimistic about Calgary’s chances to make the playoffs. In fact, Sports Club Stats has the Flames’ chances at 13.2 percent.
True, the Boston Bruins managed to rocket up the standings in a matter of weeks; however, the Flames aren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs. Calgary hasn’t experienced the postseason since 2009 for a reason.
Expect Iginla to keep saying all the right things in public – for example, “There’s going to be a lot of changes over the next 60 games in the standings, and we believe we’re going to be moving up” – but don’t expect the stories to go away. Especially on PHT!
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 21
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)