Nov 30, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning has locked up Victor Hedman until 2017, signing the 20-year-old Swedish defenseman to a five-year, $20-million extension.
“We are extremely pleased to announce that we have agreed to a five-year contract with Victor,” said Lightning GM Steve Yzerman. “He has shown tremendous growth as a player in just more than two seasons in the NHL while also becoming a key member of our team. We look forward to his continued development in a Lightning uniform.”
Hedman was drafted second overall in 2009, right behind John Tavares and right before Matt Duchene. Though he hasn’t enjoyed the same amount of success as those two, a defenseman often takes more time to develop than a forward. There will be glaring mistakes and stretches of poor play. Confidence will be gained and lost. And for defenseman, it’s much harder to hide out there.
Hedman has two goals and no assists in 20 games while averaging 22:55 of ice time. Two points isn’t many, but it has to be noted he very rarely gets time on the power play. His role on the Lightning is largely a defensive one.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)