Nov 30, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning has locked up Victor Hedman until 2017, signing the 20-year-old Swedish defenseman to a five-year, $20-million extension.
“We are extremely pleased to announce that we have agreed to a five-year contract with Victor,” said Lightning GM Steve Yzerman. “He has shown tremendous growth as a player in just more than two seasons in the NHL while also becoming a key member of our team. We look forward to his continued development in a Lightning uniform.”
Hedman was drafted second overall in 2009, right behind John Tavares and right before Matt Duchene. Though he hasn’t enjoyed the same amount of success as those two, a defenseman often takes more time to develop than a forward. There will be glaring mistakes and stretches of poor play. Confidence will be gained and lost. And for defenseman, it’s much harder to hide out there.
Hedman has two goals and no assists in 20 games while averaging 22:55 of ice time. Two points isn’t many, but it has to be noted he very rarely gets time on the power play. His role on the Lightning is largely a defensive one.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)