Nov 30, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning has locked up Victor Hedman until 2017, signing the 20-year-old Swedish defenseman to a five-year, $20-million extension.
“We are extremely pleased to announce that we have agreed to a five-year contract with Victor,” said Lightning GM Steve Yzerman. “He has shown tremendous growth as a player in just more than two seasons in the NHL while also becoming a key member of our team. We look forward to his continued development in a Lightning uniform.”
Hedman was drafted second overall in 2009, right behind John Tavares and right before Matt Duchene. Though he hasn’t enjoyed the same amount of success as those two, a defenseman often takes more time to develop than a forward. There will be glaring mistakes and stretches of poor play. Confidence will be gained and lost. And for defenseman, it’s much harder to hide out there.
Hedman has two goals and no assists in 20 games while averaging 22:55 of ice time. Two points isn’t many, but it has to be noted he very rarely gets time on the power play. His role on the Lightning is largely a defensive one.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)