Nov 30, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
The elbow/forearm shiver occurred late in the first period of Florida’s 3-1 win, and didn’t draw a penalty. What was drawn, though, was Versteeg’s ire. George Richards of the Miami Herald wrote that Steeger approached one of the referees at the intermission to question the non-call…and didn’t seem to care for the explanation given.
“Before going through the tunnel to the locker room, Versteeg chucked his stick in frustration,” Richards said.
Should be noted this is the second time in five days Shanahan has reviewed an unpenalized hit. Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty got a three-game suspension for a high hit on Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang — a hit that didn’t get whistled on the ice.
(For what it’s worth, both Versteeg and Letang had their noses mashed/bloodied. Perhaps Shanahan will take impending rhinoplasty into account when making his ruling.)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 4
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50