Nov 30, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
The elbow/forearm shiver occurred late in the first period of Florida’s 3-1 win, and didn’t draw a penalty. What was drawn, though, was Versteeg’s ire. George Richards of the Miami Herald wrote that Steeger approached one of the referees at the intermission to question the non-call…and didn’t seem to care for the explanation given.
“Before going through the tunnel to the locker room, Versteeg chucked his stick in frustration,” Richards said.
Should be noted this is the second time in five days Shanahan has reviewed an unpenalized hit. Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty got a three-game suspension for a high hit on Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang — a hit that didn’t get whistled on the ice.
(For what it’s worth, both Versteeg and Letang had their noses mashed/bloodied. Perhaps Shanahan will take impending rhinoplasty into account when making his ruling.)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 34
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25