Nov 30, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
There are plenty of rock-bottom moments in professional sports, but getting bashed by your own general manger ranks high on the list. Things were bad enough for Tomas Kaberle, but Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford went on XM Radio to blast the damagingly bad free agent pickup.
Rutherford’s message was simple and harsh: “Tomas Kaberle better pick up his game or he won’t be in Carolina long.”
That’s a saucy little quote, but it provokes plenty of thoughts that aren’t very positive for the man pointing the finger.
- How exactly is this going to improve Kaberle’s plummeting trade value? The Hurricanes aren’t a team with the kind of budget that can Wade Redden a player’s salary in the minors, after all.
- Building off the last point, who’s going to want him? I doubt many teams are going to want to fork over $4.25 million for three years of Kaberle’s passivity.
- Here’s a thought: maybe Rutherford should “pick up his game.” After all, he was the guy who a) re-hired Paul Maurice only to fire him and b) gave Kaberle that baffling contract in the first place. This is the hockey equivalent to a soccer mom snapping after she did a poor job of picking up groceries.
Honestly, this almost smells a little bit like the way the Edmonton Oilers mismanaged the Sheldon Souray situation. There’s a difference between “tough love” and “shooting yourself in the foot” and Rutherford is angling toward the latter.
In the grand scheme of things, both Rutherford and Kaberle need a wake-up call.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)