Nov 30, 2011, 10:08 PM EST
At this point, it’s getting tough to imagine this Boston Bruins team struggling in 2011-12. There’s no doubt that they were an embattled bunch early on in the season, though, but a 7-0 thrashing of the Toronto Maple Leafs helped turn things around. Despite a 6-3 score in tonight’s game, the Bruins didn’t crush the Leafs quite like they did in their other two meetings, but the bottom line is that Boston has Toronto’s number.
The Bruins also own the top spot in the Northeast Division because of this win, by the way.
The Bruins have outscored the Maple Leafs 19-3 while generating at least six goals in each contest. The good/bad news for Toronto is that they won’t have to wait weeks for their next chance at revenge; the two teams will play again in Boston on Saturday.
It’s too early to pencil Boston in for the division title or count Toronto out altogether, but the Buds might be concerned if they drop the upcoming weekend contest. They’re behind the Bruins and have played in two more games, so that Dec. 3 match is as “big” as it gets this early in the season.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)