Nov 30, 2011, 10:08 PM EST
At this point, it’s getting tough to imagine this Boston Bruins team struggling in 2011-12. There’s no doubt that they were an embattled bunch early on in the season, though, but a 7-0 thrashing of the Toronto Maple Leafs helped turn things around. Despite a 6-3 score in tonight’s game, the Bruins didn’t crush the Leafs quite like they did in their other two meetings, but the bottom line is that Boston has Toronto’s number.
The Bruins also own the top spot in the Northeast Division because of this win, by the way.
The Bruins have outscored the Maple Leafs 19-3 while generating at least six goals in each contest. The good/bad news for Toronto is that they won’t have to wait weeks for their next chance at revenge; the two teams will play again in Boston on Saturday.
It’s too early to pencil Boston in for the division title or count Toronto out altogether, but the Buds might be concerned if they drop the upcoming weekend contest. They’re behind the Bruins and have played in two more games, so that Dec. 3 match is as “big” as it gets this early in the season.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 46
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 32
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (111)