Nov 29, 2011, 8:22 AM EDT
The Caps face off at home against the St. Louis Blues in an odd sort of “new coaches battle.” For Caps coach Dale Hunter going up against the reinvigorated Blues and coach Ken Hitchcock provides them with a curious way to start their new life with a new bench boss.
With the Caps struggling to reclaim their identity, having to do it in their first game under Hunter against a team that will come after them and defend to the death will make life difficult. Hunter is noted from his time coaching the London Knights for relying heavily upon his offensive stars to push the game. If Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, and Nicklas Backstrom want to impress the new boss tonight, they’ll have their work cut out for them. Lord knows there’s no more excuses for Ovechkin now.
Making matters more difficult will be how well the Blues goalies have both played of late. While Brian Elliott has been getting league-wide accolades, old nemesis Jaroslav Halak has been lights out since Hitchcock’s arrival in town as well. Just what the Caps want to have happen, find their old pace and ability to push the game only to have Halak there to stand on his head. Talk about reliving a nightmare.
Then again, it could prove to be rather “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World” like in that they’ve got to beat that evil ex-boyfriend to be able to get through things. That might be exaggerating the point though. For now, Hunter has to be prepared for his team to have an uphill battle against a team that plays their tails off, defends very well, and has stellar goaltending of late to top it all off.
Having a tough task right off the bat might prove to be the best thing for the Caps to kick off the Dale Hunter era.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39