Nov 29, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
Datsyuk took a lot of heat while the Wings struggled through a six-game losing streak in late October and early November. And he didn’t play a whole lot better when the team started winning.
When asked two weeks ago how he was doing, Datsyuk said, “Awful. I don’t have anything. I need more be productive, need more shoot, need more be dangerous. Need more be dangerous.”
Datsyuk has more be better lately. More be much better.
In his last five games – all Detroit wins – Datsyuk has eight points while compiling a plus-5 rating.
“He’s playing real well, making plays, hanging on to the puck, dangling guys,” said defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom Friday after the Wings beat Boston, 3-2 in a shootout.
“It’s fun to see him play like that.”
Pavel Datsyuk, everyone.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)