Nov 29, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
Datsyuk took a lot of heat while the Wings struggled through a six-game losing streak in late October and early November. And he didn’t play a whole lot better when the team started winning.
When asked two weeks ago how he was doing, Datsyuk said, “Awful. I don’t have anything. I need more be productive, need more shoot, need more be dangerous. Need more be dangerous.”
Datsyuk has more be better lately. More be much better.
In his last five games – all Detroit wins – Datsyuk has eight points while compiling a plus-5 rating.
“He’s playing real well, making plays, hanging on to the puck, dangling guys,” said defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom Friday after the Wings beat Boston, 3-2 in a shootout.
“It’s fun to see him play like that.”
Pavel Datsyuk, everyone.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)