Nov 29, 2011, 10:59 AM EST
Problem here is that Jones didn’t come close to elbowing Geoffrion at all when he put him down behind the net.
Jones hit Geoffrion with a clean shoulder-to-shoulder check that saw the official get a bit too anxious and send him off for a major. That major then led to two soft make up calls against Nashville during the five minutes and turned that span of the game into a regular eye-rolling fiasco.
Thankfully, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Jones will not see any further punishment from the league for the play. As for the play in question, check out the video here courtesy of The Score in Canada.
Sanity prevails off the ice even when it does not on the ice.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)