Nov 29, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
An encouraging development out of New York regarding the health of Rangers defenseman Marc Staal: ESPN New York’s Katie Strang reports that Staal has started skating at the Rangers’ practice facility in Westchester.
Staal had been in shutdown mode (per doctor’s orders) since Oct. 16 after attempting to return from a concussion suffered on a hit from his brother, Eric.
On Nov. 18, concussion specialist Dr. Robert Cantu gave Staal the green light to resume limited physical activity — light workouts and stationary biking — which in itself was a big development. Staal had been plagued by exertion-related headaches after workouts, so medical clearance was a big first step in his recovery.
Returning to the ice was another key step. And while Strang notes it’s a “significant [one] in Staal’s lengthy road to recovery,” it’s believed he’s still a long way from returning to game action.
Translation: Don’t expect him in the lineup when New York travels to Philadelphia for the Winter Classic.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control