Nov 29, 2011, 12:07 PM EST
An encouraging development out of New York regarding the health of Rangers defenseman Marc Staal: ESPN New York’s Katie Strang reports that Staal has started skating at the Rangers’ practice facility in Westchester.
Staal had been in shutdown mode (per doctor’s orders) since Oct. 16 after attempting to return from a concussion suffered on a hit from his brother, Eric.
On Nov. 18, concussion specialist Dr. Robert Cantu gave Staal the green light to resume limited physical activity — light workouts and stationary biking — which in itself was a big development. Staal had been plagued by exertion-related headaches after workouts, so medical clearance was a big first step in his recovery.
Returning to the ice was another key step. And while Strang notes it’s a “significant [one] in Staal’s lengthy road to recovery,” it’s believed he’s still a long way from returning to game action.
Translation: Don’t expect him in the lineup when New York travels to Philadelphia for the Winter Classic.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)