Nov 29, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason has been cleared to return to action after missing three games with a head injury.
Now the question is what to do with him.
Curtis Sanford, the 32-year-old journeyman that last played in the NHL in 2009, has stepped in and provided Columbus with its most solid goaltending of the year. He’s 3-1-2 with a 1.38 goals-against average and .947 save percentage.
“He’s not all over the place,” said Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel (in what was either praise for Sanford or condemnation of Mason — you decide!) “He’s compact. He faces the shooter and prepares himself for the next rebound and that next chance. He’s not a guy who expends a ton of energy by flying all over the place.”
Another positive for Sanford is the Jackets seemingly play better in front of him than Mason. Inexplicable, but the numbers confirm — Columbus earned its only winning-streak of the year with Sanford in goal and secured at least a point in all but one of his games played.
So, consider the situation. Mason’s been very bad, Sanford’s been very good. Arniel’s job has been on the line for weeks, the BJs are desperate for wins and throughout the league, teams are riding their backups with great success (see: Cory Schneider in Vancouver, Brian Elliott in St. Louis and Josh Harding in Minnesota.)
What would you do?
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)