Nov 29, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
Dale Hunter is keeping it real in his first game as an NHL coach. According to the Washington Post, the Caps’ new bench boss only has one suit – a blue one he’s worn since 2006 that he’ll be sporting tonight as Washington hosts the Blues at the Verizon Center.
Apparently Hunter used to have a tan jacket he wore from 2001 to 2005 while coaching the OHL’s London Knights, but he let his players “beat it up” when they won the Memorial Cup. (Presumably something similar to the scene from Office Space where they smash the fax machine to pieces.)
Oilers forward Sam Gagner, who played for Hunter in London, remembers his old coach’s wardrobe well.
“I think he wore one suit for every junior game and he left it in the coach’s office,” Gagner told the Edmonton Journal. “My dad (Dave, a former London Knights assistant coach) went as Dale one year at a team Halloween party. It wasn’t too hard to recreate Dale. He just took his suit.”
Hopefully Hunter wears the same threads the rest of the season. It’d be a shame if the big NHL money went to his head and he bought a second suit like some sort of movie star.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 56
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8