Nov 29, 2011, 2:03 PM EST
Dale Hunter is keeping it real in his first game as an NHL coach. According to the Washington Post, the Caps’ new bench boss only has one suit – a blue one he’s worn since 2006 that he’ll be sporting tonight as Washington hosts the Blues at the Verizon Center.
Apparently Hunter used to have a tan jacket he wore from 2001 to 2005 while coaching the OHL’s London Knights, but he let his players “beat it up” when they won the Memorial Cup. (Presumably something similar to the scene from Office Space where they smash the fax machine to pieces.)
Oilers forward Sam Gagner, who played for Hunter in London, remembers his old coach’s wardrobe well.
“I think he wore one suit for every junior game and he left it in the coach’s office,” Gagner told the Edmonton Journal. “My dad (Dave, a former London Knights assistant coach) went as Dale one year at a team Halloween party. It wasn’t too hard to recreate Dale. He just took his suit.”
Hopefully Hunter wears the same threads the rest of the season. It’d be a shame if the big NHL money went to his head and he bought a second suit like some sort of movie star.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 4
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54