Nov 29, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
Dale Hunter is keeping it real in his first game as an NHL coach. According to the Washington Post, the Caps’ new bench boss only has one suit – a blue one he’s worn since 2006 that he’ll be sporting tonight as Washington hosts the Blues at the Verizon Center.
Apparently Hunter used to have a tan jacket he wore from 2001 to 2005 while coaching the OHL’s London Knights, but he let his players “beat it up” when they won the Memorial Cup. (Presumably something similar to the scene from Office Space where they smash the fax machine to pieces.)
Oilers forward Sam Gagner, who played for Hunter in London, remembers his old coach’s wardrobe well.
“I think he wore one suit for every junior game and he left it in the coach’s office,” Gagner told the Edmonton Journal. “My dad (Dave, a former London Knights assistant coach) went as Dale one year at a team Halloween party. It wasn’t too hard to recreate Dale. He just took his suit.”
Hopefully Hunter wears the same threads the rest of the season. It’d be a shame if the big NHL money went to his head and he bought a second suit like some sort of movie star.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 13
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)