Nov 29, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
Dale Hunter is keeping it real in his first game as an NHL coach. According to the Washington Post, the Caps’ new bench boss only has one suit – a blue one he’s worn since 2006 that he’ll be sporting tonight as Washington hosts the Blues at the Verizon Center.
Apparently Hunter used to have a tan jacket he wore from 2001 to 2005 while coaching the OHL’s London Knights, but he let his players “beat it up” when they won the Memorial Cup. (Presumably something similar to the scene from Office Space where they smash the fax machine to pieces.)
Oilers forward Sam Gagner, who played for Hunter in London, remembers his old coach’s wardrobe well.
“I think he wore one suit for every junior game and he left it in the coach’s office,” Gagner told the Edmonton Journal. “My dad (Dave, a former London Knights assistant coach) went as Dale one year at a team Halloween party. It wasn’t too hard to recreate Dale. He just took his suit.”
Hopefully Hunter wears the same threads the rest of the season. It’d be a shame if the big NHL money went to his head and he bought a second suit like some sort of movie star.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)