Nov 29, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
Dale Hunter is keeping it real in his first game as an NHL coach. According to the Washington Post, the Caps’ new bench boss only has one suit – a blue one he’s worn since 2006 that he’ll be sporting tonight as Washington hosts the Blues at the Verizon Center.
Apparently Hunter used to have a tan jacket he wore from 2001 to 2005 while coaching the OHL’s London Knights, but he let his players “beat it up” when they won the Memorial Cup. (Presumably something similar to the scene from Office Space where they smash the fax machine to pieces.)
Oilers forward Sam Gagner, who played for Hunter in London, remembers his old coach’s wardrobe well.
“I think he wore one suit for every junior game and he left it in the coach’s office,” Gagner told the Edmonton Journal. “My dad (Dave, a former London Knights assistant coach) went as Dale one year at a team Halloween party. It wasn’t too hard to recreate Dale. He just took his suit.”
Hopefully Hunter wears the same threads the rest of the season. It’d be a shame if the big NHL money went to his head and he bought a second suit like some sort of movie star.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36