Nov 29, 2011, 6:55 PM EDT
ESPN’s Scott Burnside reports that Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin had a 15-minute phone call today with his former head coach, Bruce Boudreau.
Ovechkin apparently thanked Boudreau for his time with the Caps, and Boudreau responded with the usual ex-coach platitudes.
“I told him I loved him and blah, blah, blah, all the regular stuff,” Boudreau said, holding a boombox over his head while blaring In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel.
Boudreau then flatly denied there was any rift between he and Ovechkin. “It’s so far from the truth,” Boudreau said. “We got along, I think, famously.”
As for the infamous third-period benching against Anaheim? Hardly indicative of their overall relationship.
“People want to focus on the fact that I sat him out one shift,” he said. “I don’t have a problem and never once did I think I have a problem with Alex liking me or not liking me.”
For what it’s worth, Ovechkin has corroborated most of this over the last two days. He told the Washington Post he and Boudreau had a very good relationship, would always cherish the memories and hoped they could still be friends, even though people are telling him that never works out.
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 7
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)