Nov 29, 2011, 6:55 PM EDT
ESPN’s Scott Burnside reports that Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin had a 15-minute phone call today with his former head coach, Bruce Boudreau.
Ovechkin apparently thanked Boudreau for his time with the Caps, and Boudreau responded with the usual ex-coach platitudes.
“I told him I loved him and blah, blah, blah, all the regular stuff,” Boudreau said, holding a boombox over his head while blaring In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel.
Boudreau then flatly denied there was any rift between he and Ovechkin. “It’s so far from the truth,” Boudreau said. “We got along, I think, famously.”
As for the infamous third-period benching against Anaheim? Hardly indicative of their overall relationship.
“People want to focus on the fact that I sat him out one shift,” he said. “I don’t have a problem and never once did I think I have a problem with Alex liking me or not liking me.”
For what it’s worth, Ovechkin has corroborated most of this over the last two days. He told the Washington Post he and Boudreau had a very good relationship, would always cherish the memories and hoped they could still be friends, even though people are telling him that never works out.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 8
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 52
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 49
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional