Nov 29, 2011, 6:55 PM EST
ESPN’s Scott Burnside reports that Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin had a 15-minute phone call today with his former head coach, Bruce Boudreau.
Ovechkin apparently thanked Boudreau for his time with the Caps, and Boudreau responded with the usual ex-coach platitudes.
“I told him I loved him and blah, blah, blah, all the regular stuff,” Boudreau said, holding a boombox over his head while blaring In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel.
Boudreau then flatly denied there was any rift between he and Ovechkin. “It’s so far from the truth,” Boudreau said. “We got along, I think, famously.”
As for the infamous third-period benching against Anaheim? Hardly indicative of their overall relationship.
“People want to focus on the fact that I sat him out one shift,” he said. “I don’t have a problem and never once did I think I have a problem with Alex liking me or not liking me.”
For what it’s worth, Ovechkin has corroborated most of this over the last two days. He told the Washington Post he and Boudreau had a very good relationship, would always cherish the memories and hoped they could still be friends, even though people are telling him that never works out.
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 8
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)